If you'd told me I was going to be a career-woman I probably would have lol'd. I was raised from the homeschooled all 12 years thing, to the daughter of a pastor, to the I-married-a-youth-pastor. So where does working outside the home and having two kids fit into the equation? Heck, I even know how to can tomatoes...something I'm trying desperately to forget.
I have learned a few critical things about myself in this foray into the workforce of directing people, hitting the 9-5 grind, and still coming home to balance family, housekeeping, child rearing, church ministry and that ever-distant concept of ... time to myself and writing novels?!
1. Oprah is nuts. Yes I deserve "me" time. Yes, it would benefit my family. But no, there's no way possible to make that happen. So yes, Oprah is nuts.
2. I can't cook--so it's an obvious disqualifier for me being a SAHM
3. I am not a self-contained liberal advocate who thinks her husband is a wuss or that I am somehow superior.
4. Being a mom becomes precious because of my limited time.
5. House chores are suddenly put into perspective on the low scale of importance.
6. Sometimes you just have to realize not every one is going to agree with you being a WOHM.
7. Sometimes you just have to know that the Lord takes people down very unique roads and it's awesome to see how He works.
8. Coffee is a necessity for every mom -- Acronym notwithstanding.
9. I will never--ever be geared mentally, physically or emotionally for more than 2 kids.
10. ...and that's OK
11. I will often be an outsider in the world of Moms...and that's ok too.
Unlike some SAHM's, makeup for me is daily occurrence, as are showers, dress clothes, and heels. But like a lot SAHM's, pajama pants are still the preferred source of comfort and kids bouncing off the walls still make me smile...and cringe. We have a lot in common...and a lot of differences. But this I know to be true...we all, at the end of the day, kiss our children's temples and pray a prayer of grace and blessing. In that fact, we are united.
Jaime Jo Wright - author of spirited turn-of-the-century romance, stained with suspense
March 2016, "The Cowgirl's Lasso", The Cowboy Bride's Novella Collection, from Barbour Publishing
August, 2016,"Gold Haven Heiress", The California Gold Rush Brides Collection, from Barbour Publishing
Visit Jaime's web site: jaimejowright.com
Email Jaime - jaimejowright at gmail dot com
Like Jaime on Facebook
Friend Jaime on Twitter
Meet Jaime on Pinterest
Don't forget Instagram