Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday's Devo: Place of Solitude

Life is full for just about everyone I know. There's no lack for events, meetings, and commitments cluttering our calendar. No lack of things cluttering our home, along with the tasks that come attached to things. And the date calendar and mental list of people I should get together with for coffee is ever in my mind.

My iPhone is buzzing in my pocket, reminding me of lunch meetings, birthday's, and notifications.

But it's that Still Small Voice I need more than anything.

Jesus knew his disciples had to be extracted from their lives to find that place of solitude where he taught them to listen to the heart of the Father. To fuel up. To commune.

Potato Creek State Park
Jesus had crowds around him everywhere he went. People pressing in to touch the hem of his garment. People questioning him. Rulers testing him. Others curious about him. I'm thinking that when he went away for solitude, perhaps he had to just walk away. Perhaps sometimes he even left a crowd standing, staring at his retreating back.


But the thing is....he would have had nothing to give them if he didn't fill up with the Father in that place of solitude. He abided in the Father. He was ever-connected.

This is one reason we have taken up camping. My husband and I need to drive away. Just cut out. Bye. Leaving you now.

I need to go be with my Lord. My friends who make me laugh and smile. God's creation, that reminds me my notifications aren't all that important.


Work is good. Giving is good. Ministry is good. Writing is good. But, as I read this weekend in Strengthen Yourself in the Lord by Bill Johnson, unless we find a time and place to remain intimate with God, burnout and compromise are not far away, while "all true fruitfulness flows from that intimacy with Him."

So. Get alone. 
Chuck the date book. 
Pitch the planner. 
Cut out. 
And check in with the Father. 
Schedule it! Jesus did.

Matthew 14:22 Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. 23After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)