Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Rest of the Story

I used to listen to Paul Harvey with my dad. I loved Harvey's radio program The Rest of the Story, which was about little known or forgotten facts on a variety of subjects, and the key element (usually the name of a person) was held back until the end of the story.

I was always hooked--and eagerly anticipated the great reveal at the end. I loved those stories, and the time with my dad.

It recently come to my attention that Facebook is somewhat like The Rest of the Story--yet the key element is usually not revealed. We're left with only part of the story (the part the author wants us to see) in the little snippets of pictures and posts.

But how much of the real story do we miss?

Here's a recent picture I took and wanted to post on Facebook...but I saved it to tell you the rest of the story.


What I would have wanted you to know on Facebook is that this is a picture of my husband, Dave, leading worship at our church. (He's the super-handsome guy in the middle.) The little boy next to him is one of our twin boys.

We sit in the front row of church, so my husband can get on and off the stage easily to lead worship. On this particular Sunday, my son walked up to the stage and stood by his dad and "sang" along. My husband didn't miss a beat, but put his hand on our son's shoulder and kept on singing.

It made my heart all warm and mushy, so I snapped this picture and wanted the world to see how precious my son looked with his daddy.

I could have shared the picture, and the little snippet of information, and left people to believe that's all that happened.

But that's not where the story ends...

After I took the picture, I put my phone away and continued to sing with the congregation. A few moments later, I glanced at my son with a big smile on my face--until I noticed the direction his pointer finger was headed.

Everything in me wanted to run up to the stage and snatch our son away before that finger went in his nose--instead, I made the best "don't you dare" look, and tried to send him mind-waves to get his attention.

But he kept on singing, and kept that finger on its course to his nostril.

After impact, I upped my intense facial warnings--but he still did not look at me.

I could see the writing on the wall and I was powerless to stop him.

The finger came out of his nose and started toward his mouth.

I tried with all my might to get the child to look at me--but he didn't.

The finger went in the mouth in front of the whole congregation.

Sigh.

...and now you know the rest of the story.

I would hesitate to tell you this story if it had happened in private (to protect my son's *ahem* reputation), but he did this in public, thereby giving his mother full permission to share. :)

Your Turn: What picture have you recently taken that only told part of the story?

I have a winner from last weeks Rafflecopter drawing! A $10 Amazon Gift Card goes to Kathryn Voss! Congratulations, Kathryn!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the drawing!

9 comments:

  1. Still having trouble reading 3/4 of the blog because of the background color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Gail. I'll see what we can do to fix it for you. I'm not having any trouble viewing it on my PC or my iPhone. Hopefully the problem resolves soon.

      Delete
  2. BAhaha! OH kids. Been there, suffered with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's comfort knowing other mothers have walked in my shoes! :) At the end of the day, it's funny--but in the moment it can be a bit shocking!! :) Thanks for stopping by Susan.

      Delete
    2. Oh it's never funny during the moment. :) But yes, thankfully we can laugh at it later. It IS comforting knowing we aren't the only ones to suffer these moments!

      Delete
  3. Cute story, and I bet God didn't even notice your son's finger in his nose - only his innocent worship in song, LOL!! I haven't taken many pics lately, however, feel that most people's pics are probably hiding unknown stories behind the smile - to most of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)