Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Pray for #Nepal


I ransacked my storage closet this morning trying to find pictures of my trip to Nepal. This country holds a special place in my heart, and the very places deeply affected by the earthquake are also the very places I spent two weeks of my life.

I went to Nepal in 1999 when I was just a young thang pretty much straight out of high school. I had just begun to date my husband (he stayed home). But I traveled across the ocean to land in Thailand and Nepal. The rundown, dirty airport in Kathmandu, the air clouded with pot-smokers in the dirt alleyways, Mount Everest and Annapurna in the foreground of every morning's sunrise, and the people.

The people of Nepal are beautiful, warm, inviting, and I love them.

I don't really even feel like sharing stories this morning. I think of the ones I met and pray they are still safe, their children are alive, their families aren't buried beneath the rubble of the earthquake. I contemplate the young girl who trailed behind us as we hiked the foothills of the mountains. The girl I shared a banana with. She would probably be in her twenties now. Is she alive? Is she dead?

These are the questions inspired by the haunting realization that Nepal will never be the same. And yet, somehow, in tragedy, God whispers ...

May they hear His voice.

3 comments:

  1. Stirred me to pray again for the people who's lives have tragically been altered. I look at Baltimore and ALL we have here in the U.S. being taken for granted, attacked by those who have no self control and wonder how those very same people would survive in places like Nepal. Thanks, Jaime for reminding me to pray AGAIN for those hurting people - that hurting country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have friends there right now at the end of a six month mission trip. They are safe, but no doubt overwhelmed. Praying for them and everyone else affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Jaime - SO sad and devastating, yet somehow, we must believe that God has it all under control.

    One of my aunt's caregivers has friends in Nepal and visited there just last August. She was able to reach one of them - he was treated for a foot injury, but is well and living in a tent. He told her that he stayed put, in the building he was ministering in, when the quake hit - all the others that ran out of the building were killed. Everything that she saw on her trip last year is now gone.

    Praying for the people of Nepal!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)