Monday, March 16, 2015

Monday's Devo: The Things We Do.....

...to find beauty....
Beauty in the extraordinary. In the ordinary.

What have you done to look for beauty?

Last month my friend, Sarah Varland, moved to Alaska. Last night she was bummed no one wanted to accompany her to drive around in the dark looking for a show of Northern Lights. I would have gone in a heartbeat! That little conversation triggered wonderful memories of my Dad and Mom waking me in the middle of the night, wrapping me up in my p.j.'s and a huge blanket. I was carried outdoors in the dead of night to watch amazing shimmering red-orange lights dance across the sky. It was a holy family moment. Me in Dad's arms. Mom beside him, holding my brother. In silence we gazed at God's handiwork.

Sarah's quest for beauty made me think of other things I've done to find beauty.

God's beauty in the extraordinary...

...seeing the Rocky Mountains for the first time, rising up from the horizon of the prairie as we rode in Dad's red '76 Chevy truck, pulling an old '67 Starcraft pop up camper.
...driving into a pitch dark wheat field in Kansas to see Halley's Comet in 1986.
...laying on the warm hood of my then fiancé's '76 yellow Chevette counting shooting stars.
...dragging blankets out to the back yard in October, laying on our backs, waiting for a meteor shower with Ted and Emily.
...sitting at the top of Cascade Mountain range on a clear day. Getting alone with God there, seeing Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Adams.
...riding on a four wheeler with Ted, down an old two-track logging road in the UP, Michigan, into the cedar swamp to find a lovely blooming Lady Slipper.
...standing on a tree stump, at the top of a hill, with my 1985 Sony Walkman cranking out Amy Grant, in the middle of the dense Black Forest of Germany.
...parking in the middle of a country road with Ted, at the top of a hill to watch a fantastical lightning show. We clapped and cheered for the best displays.


God's beauty in the ordinary...

...slicing open a juicy red garden tomato, taking time to stand in awe.
...watching my children sleep.
...pulling into my driveway after a long day.
...hearing my children sing together when they didn't know I was listening.
...cranking music up in the van and singing at the top or my lungs, alone, or with my kids.
...laughing with Dad, listening to his stories.
...coffee and homemade jam toast with Mom.
...picking wild huckleberries with Grandma Emma.
...riding in Grandpa John's truck to get a piece of pie.
...standing in a prayer circle with dear friends from Sunday School Class.
...watching Ted working over his bee hives in the back yard amidst all the flowers he's planted.
...the call of the Red-Winged Black Bird in springtime.
...dancing in the kitchen.

Holy moments.
Let me count them.

He delights in me. In you. In us.
He not only contends and disciplines us, 
He delights to share Holy Moments with us.
Don't miss the moments.

Zephaniah 3:17New International Version (NIV)

17 The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Lady Slipper
Readers:
What holy moments stand out in your memory?
When have you most experienced God's delight?
What visions of grandeur have you been graced with?
Please share. Let's make the list longer!


-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Represented by Sarah Freese, WordServe Literary

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Anne for the beautiful post! From 2007-2008, I had the pleasure of living in Colorado Springs, CO. Those mountains and the scenery provided many stand in awe moments of His Glory. Living among the wildlife at Glen Eyrie was also very special.

    Have a marvelous Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Caryl! Living in the mountains would be wonderful! It would be so fun to be that close to fun and adventure.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your beautiful memories, Anne - it brought back so many of my own. Sharing a picnic lunch at the drive-in with my family, lying on the grass (amongst fragrant lilac bushes) and being playfully lifted in the air by my grandfather, the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, Hawaii and Alaska, and so many more. One of my most inspirational is as a cast member of a nightly Passion Play - for a year - I was touched by the Spirit each and every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, lilac memories! Great to add those to the list. Oh, Passion Play. Great time of the year to recall that!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)