Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday's Devo: Go Tell it on the Mountain!

I love the traditional Christmas song, "Go Tell it on the Mountain!" It's a song with a catchy tune that reminds us to go tell the world about the good news of the birth of Jesus.

I read a blog this week entitled: Complaining is a Spiritual Problem. It's true, our culture in the world today is one of complaining. Grumbling. If one person gives a list of what sorts of challenges they met just on the way to work, another person sees their number of grievances and then raises them two or three more.

by permission: freedigitalphotos.net

The coffee maker broke. The alarm didn't go off. The shower was cold. I hit all the red lights and then noticed my gas tank was on empty. Obamacare is bad. Seriously, all my laundry is dirty so I had to wear this twice.

And so it goes...the litany of griping.

I've heard it said that bad things happen in "threes" as if after that you are automatically off the bad-things-can-happen-to-me-today list.  Last year, a series of out of the ordinary mini mishaps happened to me. I began keeping track and listing them, mentally at first, then out loud. Soon I'd passed item four and five and grew internally outraged that I'd well expired my I-was-due-for-some-stress-in-life, as if I had a right to be overlooked by more rain clouds. By the time I was well beyond bad-thing number six or seven, it was as if God said, "keep on complaining if you want to, I'll give you more for your list if you want to keep speaking bad things into your life."

Then I remembered that God struck Zechariah speechless for three months when he questioned the angel Gabriel's announcement of his wife's pregnancy with John the Baptist---and I decided I'd better zip my lips from letting a constant string of complaints drip from my soul, taking my spirit captive with them. I'd never set out to be negative, or unbelieving, yet I mindlessly partook in remembering all that I'd endured as if I'd donned battle armor and crossed the moors of Mordor and faced an army of Orc's and lived to tell of it.

by permission: freedigitalphotos.net
Silence takes discipline. (and I'm not perfect!)

But soon, it feels more powerful.
Believing in good. Walking by faith.
Walking in the Spirit and by faith doesn't change your circumstances, 
but it does free you to see in a new way.

Telling good news, speaking good, does the same thing. It brings freedom.

Announcement of the Birth of Jesus.
Luke 1
In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth,
to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of  David, and the virgin’s name was Mary.
And coming to her, he said, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.”
But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.
Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus.
He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

But Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I have no relations with a man?” (Anne's thought: at this point, Mary might have, could have easily, focused only on her circumstance and complained about how inconvenient it would be for her....)

And the angel said to her in reply, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.

And behold, Elizabeth, your relative, has also conceived a son in her old age, and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren; for nothing will be impossible for God.”

Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her. (Anne's thought: instead, Mary responded in faith and surrendered her circumstances to the Lord's will even though she couldn't see how it would all play out.)


And then....Unto us was born the Messiah, Savior of the world....

Go, speak it to the Mountains!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Represented by Sarah Freese, WordServe Literary

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too, Ladonna. Such a catchy tune! ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Anne. I love how you have woven this lesson. I have done my share of complaining in the past. I agree we must quit complaining and walk in faith. I love that song too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly easy to fall into, for me especially when I'm weary and overwhelmed.

      Delete
  3. We sang that song yesterday at church and then our pastor used that very scripture you posted in his sermon! I think about Mary and how she was only a very young teenager but was willing to be used by God regardless of how she would be perceived by family, friends and Joseph. How many of us would be totally willing to do that, really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that gives me shivery chills Gail! Very cool. :)

      Delete
  4. WOW!! A totally Amen post, Anne - thank you!! It is so easy to chime in with our own complaints when others start complaining, isn't it?? And yet - we should NEVER, EVER have ANYTHING to complain about when compared to what Christ endured for each of us!! I've started to keep a blessings journal - it will truly blow one's mind when reminded of his/her many daily blessings, both large and small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! I love that idea of a blessing journal! A friend mentioned to me they were recently in a 'blessing group' where people only took time to share the things God was doing. It's not to say that we shouldn't share our burdens or be honest about real life, but to actively look for God's hand at work....

      Delete
  5. Oh man, this is convicting! Yes we are a very complaining society. It's terrible. I have friends who I have stopped going out with because I can't handle the negativity of their conversations. I know, I am not perfect by any means. This is a good kick in the rear. We started a blessings jar last year and that is awesome for reminding us to always look at the blessings we receive and not focus on the bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I love these ideas about the blessing journal and the blessing jar!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)