Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Colorado Dawn Release Party ~ Day Two ~ Before The Dawn


  


Happy Tuesday of Release Week! 


Yesterday marked the release of my 3-in-1 collection Colorado Dawn! YAYAY!

This book contains three stories set in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, and I thought I'd share a little bit about the first story today.

The Inspiration:

The idea for this story came about because I was watching one of my favorite old western tv series, The Big Valley. The episode was titled Time After Midnight, and in the story, one of the main characters is blinded in an explosion. Of course, by the end of the episode, his sight had been restored, but I wondered what would have happened if things hadn't ended so tidily. What would the sudden loss of sight do to a man who was used to being capable and in charge of his life? What kind of a woman would it take to make him face life again?

Enter main characters David McKenzie and Karen Worth.

The Characters


David is a mining engineer, elder son of a silver mining tycoon. Handsome, proud, smart, and newly engaged. Then disaster strikes. A cave-in in the mine leaves him blind, bitter, and terrified of what the rest of his life will be like.

And Karen is in for the fight of her life to make him realize she loves him as much as ever and still wants to be his wife. 

I had a wonderful time with David and Karen, and it was particularly challenging to write scenes from David's point of view, since I had to describe sounds and smells and textures, but not anything visual, since he is already blinded when the story opens. I loved the surrounding cast, David's parents, David's brother, Sam (who you will learn more about tomorrow) and the McKenzie family butler, who plays a great role in Before the Dawn. 

The Original Release











You can read an excerpt of Before the Dawn HERE.

You can order a copy of Colorado Dawn by clicking on one of these links:






Today's Question:

Did you watch The Big Valley? Or another western like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Rifleman, and the like? Which one was your favorite?



Don't forget, Friday, we'll open up the entries for the Colorado Dawn Gift Basket Giveaway, so be sure to come back! You can read more about the contents of the basket by clicking HERE.



Executive Assistant
Earl Grey Aficionado 
Find me on PINTEREST
Find me on GOODREADS
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

9 comments:

  1. My kids love to watch old reruns of these shows. They particularly like The Rifleman and Bonanza..I prefer Bonanza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was it Adam, Hoss, or Little Joe for you? I always liked Adam. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I like both Adam and Hoss...but growing up watching Little House, I have a special place in my heart for Little Joe! =)

      Delete
  2. Well, that excerpt certainly whet my appetite, Erica - loved it, thank you!!

    I haven't watched any westerns on TV for years, however, used to love Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke and the sparring back-and-forth between Little Joe and Hoss on Bonanza. But my fave memories are of watching Roy Rogers, Zorro, Gene Autry, and Cisco and the Poncho Kid - as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I always liked Festus and Doc on Gunsmoke, though Marshall Dillon was my favorite to be sure. And I loved watching Zorro! thanks so much for sharing this post! you are a gem!

      Delete
  3. Growing up, we spent every Saturday watching reruns of the old Western shows. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all. Not sure why but The Rifleman was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did watch The Big Valley. Heath was so cute but Nick was a rugged he-man. My favorite was The Rifleman. I thought Chuck Connors was so handsome. There was another not so well remembered show called a The Iron Horse, about the first trains to go across country. My dad jokingly called it "The Steele Mule"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember The Big Valley. That might have come out later. The westerns I remember are--Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, The Lone Ranger, Sugarfoot, The Rifleman, Maverick, Rin-Tin-Tin, Wyatt Earp, Zorro and Wagon Train. I watched Sky King every Saturday morning. I'm sure I watched others, also. It seems like that is what was mostly on TV when we got our first one back in early 1950's. There was also Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I actually saw them in person once.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)