Friday, November 14, 2014

Book Report: Where the Treetops Glisten #Goyer #Putman #Sundin


Who's in the Christmas mood? Me too. Sort of. It's building. Slowly, but surely, until BAM! It'll be here. Preferably Saturday, according to Kokomo Jo who is determined the decorating of the house for Christmas will also hasten the arrival of her fifth birthday on December twenty-ninth.

So to get into the season, I picked up Where Treetops Glisten. Here some major reasons why I picked it up:

1. I love Sarah Sundin
2. I love Cara Putman
3. I love Tricia Goyer

Ok, clarification: I've never read Tricia Goyer, but have become friends with her on Facebook and we share other commonalities within the writing community. So, two strangers meet within the warmth of Facebook and HELLO! Here's my first review for Tricia.

Sarah and I ... well, we go way back. Like at least three years. She's a stitch to hang out with. Her background is in pharmaceuticals. I KNOW! Who would think a pharmacist could be a stitch? Me, that's who. And she is. LOVE this woman. Fiercely. Mess with her? I'll take you down.

Ok. That was a little weird. Almost obsessive. Sorry, Sarah.

Cara is the woman I aspire to be. Ok, maybe not a lawyer and definitely not a runner and nope, not having five kids, or eighteen, or however many she has. She has more than my two. Oh and she homeschools. That in itself says WONDER WOMAN! So, while we share the love of Wonder Woman tshirts, coffee, working full time and running a house, plus writing, and yeah ... she's still got me topped. And you know what's totally astounding? In the midst of all that insanity?? She's actually NICE! I mean, Cara hasn't drifted to the dark side of stressed and peeved. She's warm, friendly, and I think she's the BOMB.

Which segues neatly into my book report of a WWII set of novellas. Ok. Bomb. Cara. She's not destructive, she's ... impacting... ok. I'm so going to stop and let them write their own author bios.

EEK!

Where Treetops Glisten is perfect for amping up for Christmas. I always associate Christmas with carols, many of which were written during the War. I'll Be Home For Christmas, being one of my all time favorites. Yep. A wartime heart-cry. White Christmas. Wartime, or slightly after, a staple at my family Christmas.

I love the warmth with which these three authors write. It's indicative of the era, and when you're finished reading, you feel as if you should ration your coffee and be hugged by a soldier. Wounded heroes and broken hearts find healing within the pages of Where Treetops Glisten.

The novellas touch the lives of three siblings, all severely affected by war and the after-effects. Abigail Turner lost her beau to the war and is gun-shy to begin again. Her brother Pete is a fighter hero who is captured by the precociousness of a little girl and her widowed mother. And, Merry Turner is still overseas as a combat nurse, going face to face with her deepest betrayal. The stories are sandwiched between Christmas gatherings and the heart of a mother who holds them all in prayer.

This is a Christmas must-read. Must must must.

The crunch of newly fallen snow, the weight of wartime
 
Siblings forging new paths and finding love in three stories, 
filled with the wonder of Christmas

 
Turn back the clock to a different time, listen to Bing Crosby sing of sleigh bells in the snow, as the realities of America’s involvement in the Second World War change the lives of the Turner family in Lafayette, Indiana. 

In Cara Putman’s White Christmas, Abigail Turner is holding down the Home Front as a college student and a part-time employee at a one-of-a-kind candy shop. Loss of a beau to the war has Abigail skittish about romantic entanglements—until a hard-working young man with a serious problem needs her help. 

Abigail’s brother Pete is a fighter pilot hero returned from the European Theater in Sarah Sundin’s I’ll Be Home for Christmas, trying to recapture the hope and peace his time at war has eroded. But when he encounters a precocious little girl in need of Pete’s friendship, can he convince her widowed mother that he’s no longer the bully she once knew?

In Tricia Goyer’s Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Meredith Turner, “Merry” to those who know her best, is using her skills as a combat nurse on the frontline in the Netherlands. Halfway around the world from home, Merry never expects to face her deepest betrayal head on, but that’s precisely what God has in mind to redeem her broken heart. 
The Turner family believes in God’s providence during such a tumultuous time. Can they absorb the miracle of Christ’s birth and His plan for a future? 

Leave a comment about your favorite Christmas memory and enter to win YOUR copy!




a Rafflecopter giveaway
_________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest 


18 comments:

  1. Growing up I always enjoyed Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. It was a bright spot in an other wise dark place....

    Jaime, I loved your book report! Well done, girl. :)

    Caryl
    psalm103and138[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I enjoyed those too until I dripped hot wax all over my pants :P lol

      Delete
  2. I just started my first Christmas book of the season and I'm itching to read more!! This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not obsessive...hysterical. As in have-to-take-off-my-stupid-glasses-to-wipe-my-eyes hysterical. I feel so much better knowing I have a bow-hunter on my side!!! And I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this were facebook I would "like" this!! =)

      Delete
  4. SO many wonderful Christmas memories through the years - the best is probably one I don't really remember (but my Mom sure does), my birth on Christmas day. Another is taking "A Walk Through Bethlehem" - a recreation of the town Bethlehem, complete with characters in biblical attire, animals running around, vendors selling their wares and the reenactment of the birth of Christ.

    Love stories based during WWII and love the writing of the Sarah, Cara, and Tricia!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the passing of my father in law 3 months ago, I keep thinking about how happy he was during my daughter's Christmas. Those 2 were a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime, thank you so much for your review...and your kind words. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite Christmas memory was always the candlelight Christmas Eve service. My father grew up in a very German Lutheran community, so we always sang "Silent Night" in German and lit candles. There was also a live nativity with the kids, and the angels were always the youngest children. So very precious!

    Thanks so much for the giveaway!

    kwhittle(at)wgem(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to My family for Christmas Eve & spending the night. Our kids loved camping out in sleeping bags & quilts.
    dkstevensne AT outlook DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up I was very poor . It was just my Mother and I and I always had just the bare necessities. The other kids at school got fancy stuff and designer clothes but not me. I didn't care though I was happy to just be with my Mother.
    One Christmas morning when I was about 10 I came down to a ton of presents under the tree for me. I hadn't asked my Mother for anything because I didn't expect anything. The memory that is so wonderful for me is not the fact that there were presents but that she somehow made the effort to get them as a huge surprise me. I never did ask her how she got them but it touched my heart deeply that she somehow did that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot my email address Cnnamongirl (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite Christmas memory was almost 31 years ago when my husband proposed and gave me my diamond ring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dad always read the Christmas story from the Bible to us on Christmas Eve. Now we are all grown and not there on the evening of Christmas Eve, so we miss out on that. However, we still get together as a family. I'm blessed to never have missed a Christmas with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy getting together with my family of 6 siblings each Christmas. We don't always have a lot of gifts for each other but we try to buy for the kids and our mom who is still living. We all pitch in together and have a nice meal and just enjoy watching the kids play with their gifts. Thanks for the chance to win! I love to read. d[dot]brookmyer[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't think of any particular instances, but I know my mother always tried very hard to make sure we each had something, usually small things for each of us and a group game for the family. Most things were used, but as small children, we didn't know. It wasn't until we were older that we realized just how poor we were.
    lisajcowell(at)cs(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite memory is when my grandmother would come to visit Christmas Eve & have small brown paper bags of fruit & old fashion candy for all of us kids.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)