Thursday, October 9, 2014

TBT: My Hometown 100 Years Ago

Nappanee, Indiana. It's my hometown.

Then:
This summer, my husband and I had a little date and stopped by the antique store. I picked up copies of old post cards from 1913. 


This is the southeast corner of Main Street, looking at part of the old Coppes Hotel.
One hundred years later, parts of the old buildings still stand, but the mode of transportation has changed. 
                                                                                                        Now:
The second postcard is looking southwest on Main Street. The store in the middle is the antique store we visited, but had been a drugstore back in the day. 


Coppes is the name of the family who owned a furniture business that started in 1874, and became known or manufacturing the "Hoosier" kitchen cabinet. This month the Nappanee Center will display a cabinet exhibit. Click to read about it: Elkhart Truth, article: Nappanee Celebrates History of Woodworking


Maybe I'll visit this month and learn more!

Does your hometown have a claim to fame?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

6 comments:

  1. There is so much wonderful history in Northern Indiana. Love the picture comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pics and post, Anne!! That furniture is beautiful!!

    My little town holds wonderful memories from the past, but no claim to fame - that I'm aware of!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'd love to have one of those old Hoosiers....

      Delete
  3. My hometown, Salina, Kansas' claim to fame is being the birthplace of Paul Harvey. So now you know the rest of the story... :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)