Thursday, September 11, 2014

Throwback Thursday



Today's Throwback Thursday is a photograph and poem from my husband's family archives. The man is Pete Behselich, on his farm south of Ipswich, SD. The picture was taken in the late thirties or early forties. My husband, Peter is named after his grandfather who passed away just six weeks after Peter's birth. Pete Behselich died of a sudden heart-attack when he was 62.

Pete Behselich loved horses and farming, and he doted on his only child, a daughter, Lorraine. He always wore long-sleeved shirts and hats because he was red-headed and very fair. 

The poem and the picture were found together in a box of mementos after my mother-in-law passed away. I wish I had known about these before she passed away.  She loved to talk about her family, and she could've told me more about the picture and the horse and shared memories of her father. I know she regretted not being able to say goodbye.

In Memory
Always a smile and never a frown,
Always a hand when someone was down.
Happiness you gave to everyone you knew,
No better things could anyone do.
Your presence brought joy to everyone's heart,
Laughter and cheerfulness right from the start.
God gave us a gift, then took it away,
But your beautiful memory is here to stay.
The blow was hard, the shock severe,
We little thought your death so near.
And only those who have lost can tell,
The pain of parting without farewell. 


Hug someone in your family today and take the time to share some memories.

Executive Assistant  

Earl Grey Aficionado 

Find me on FACEBOOK

Find me on PINTEREST

Find me on GOODREADS

Find me on AMAZON.COM

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Erica!! Tomorrow is never promised to us!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)