Wednesday, August 13, 2014

When Life Hands You Lemons

...Make Lemon Cough Drops

Jaime and I at Starbucks writing and drinking coffee and tea.

We'd had this writing weekend on the calendar for weeks. We were going to slay the word count and edit the chapters to perfection.

Jaime and I were so looking forward to this weekend. And not just us. My daughter Heather was included, and she was going to hang with Jaime's little ones and play "preschool" and free Jaime for some writing time.

Then the plague hit. One by one we all fell to various illness in the days leading up to the weekend. Laryngitis, colds, croup, fevers. ARGH!

Should we cancel? Should we not?

In the end, we decided not to cancel. We would power through. The kids were feeling better (mostly) and Jaime and I just had colds.

So Heather and I drove to Jaime's house. It was such fun to see where she lived and to meet her kidlets (Who are every bit as cute in person as they are in her photographs.)

In spite of the fog of cold medicines, I managed to write quite a bit, and Jaime got a chunk of edits done on her newly-completed novel.

Thank you to Jaime for hosting us at her place. Though we weren't at our sparking best and wound up going to bed at 9 pm instead of staying up to watch a movie, we made some fun memories, got to know each other better, and made progress on our work.

It was a good reminder to me that things don't have to go exactly according to my plans in order to work out just fine.

5 comments:

  1. Those darn summer colds and whatnot have hit our family too. What's up with that?! Yup, I had a family trip planned this week and we all powered through it with medicine and plenty of kleenex boxes. Glad you had a good weekend despite the colds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say summer colds are the worst, then I get one in winter. :) Glad you were able to go on your family trip. I got uninterrupted sleep last night for the first time in about 10 days. I can cope with a lot if I can get some sleep. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you prevailed even though the weekend didn't go as you had planned - however, you can't put a price on friendship. Perhaps God's plan was just for the companionship/like minds spending time together, etc., albeit - would have been nice if both of you had been feeling better. Bet you made memories you won't forget - glad you're feeling better!! Comforting hugs to both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I hate when plans are foiled (or at least altered). Thankful you all made the best of it and had a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)