Monday, August 18, 2014

Launch Day!

No, it's not a book launch. It's a launch of our youngest son, off to college.


We got home from the drop-off late last night, and I knew I'd still need to post a blog this morning.

I tossed and turned for two nights, but mostly I'm good with this phase of our son's life. He's an amazing kid, really. I know I'm biased, but he is. So why did I toss and turn?

My heart was full of eighteen years of things that I hope and pray will sustain him in the dark moments of questioning who he is, where he should go, who he should spend time with, and what career path God wants to lead him down. As parents our job isn't done, it's just different now.

Our dear friends also sent their son off this week, and the father joked that if he could develop a fly-on-the-wall app, he'd be rich! Then we saw every scratch, bump, bruise, sniffle, sneeze, homework assignment, late alarm clock, missed bus, sleepover, practice, performance....you get it. But now, we will watch from afar and get snippets of download dump when he comes home with a bag of dirty laundry and a late night unload of stories that he gets to decide if he wants to tell--or not.

What scripture should I choose for this moment?
...yeah, though I walk through the valley of death, thou art with me....no, no, not that one.
...for this reason a son shall leave his father and mother, and join together...no, no, not that one.
...honor thy father and mother....ok, maybe?
...love one another, for love is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God....yes, closer.
...you knit me together in my mother's womb, and even before a thought is on my tongue You know it. Where can I go that You are not there...ah, yes, I love Psalm 139.
...I will uphold you with My righteous right hand....sigh, peace is coming now.

He leaves for his first semester abroad this week. Then my daughter leaves and our nest will be empty. Yet, we are not alone. For God so loved us that He gave His only begotten Son...and I cannot fathom how the Father felt when He sent His only son off to live with us, but I'm so grateful He sent
his Holy Spirit to whisper promises in my heart.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

6 comments:

  1. Our daughter went away for college. Our son attended here where we live, as a matter of fact, he's 26 and still living with us. No empty nest yet! He'll probably stay here until he marries. At least he's working full time, and saving every penny, for that marriage I'm assuming will take place maybe within the next year. Our daughter and her family live right across the street from us so we may never have a fully "empty nest", LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great for you Gail! Enjoy every minute!

      Delete
  2. I miss Ben stopping by for a new book to read or just to chat. Excited that he's off to college and will be experiencing a new culture as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the many books you shared with him Kelly! I can't wait to hear his stories when he comes home!

      Delete
  3. Hugs for you, dear Anne!! So glad you have God's reassurance and your husband to share this phase of your lives. Being single and not, at the time, allowing God to direct my paths - I was devastated and alone when my youngest went off to college. When he came home, it seemed I saw him only long enough to pick up his clean laundry and load his car with other essentials for the trip back to college as he was spending time with his friends in the area.

    The story has such a happy ending - God has filled all the empty spots in my heart and my son has a successful career as a executive with the company he works for and he and his wife raise my only grandchild in a godly home.

    Can't wait to hear of the wonderful things God has in store for your son!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie. I love happy endings! :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)