Friday, July 11, 2014

Book Report: All My Belongings by Cynthia Ruchti

I'm back with a book report after a long break from them! And there's no better book to begin with than Cynthia Ruchti's All My Belongings!
Who can resist a book that starts with this awesome first line?--"The coffee tasted like burnt marshmallows."  Sigh...melodramatic sigh. I mean, I'm addicted to coffee and just finished the last page of this story with a ritual s'more over the oven burner and a fresh brewed dark roast. At the first line, I was convinced Cynthia already knows me!

My impressions?
~~Charming and Witty
~~Deep and Healing

What happens when the lies to cover up a past Becca Marrow never asked for, threaten the best chance of a future she never dreamed possible? 

Back Cover: "A phone call destroys all hope Becca Morrow has for a life beyond the shame of her past. Further discredited by the death of her elderly, ailing patient—the mother of the influential and handsome businessman, Isaac Hughes—Becca’s new life is shattered and her longing for love slips away. Working to clear her name, Becca must learn to see the beauty in the ugliness of dying, to accept the tenderness in forgiveness, and—at last—discover that where she belongs isn’t as much about her family history as it is about her faith in the One to whom she’ll always belong."

Heroine: Jayne Dennagee, AKA, Becca Morrow, fights for a break from a past tainted by her father's misguided self-imposed ethics. She is timid yet gutsy, if not sure-footed and assured of her need to carve out a place to belong. At times I wanted to protect her and other times I wanted to cry for her. Born into an intact family, she is orphaned by disease and dysfunction, and is forced to wade into the unknown on a string and a prayer.

Hero: Isaac Hughes, was orphaned at birth, adopted by grace and mercy, his life has been everything if it's been bathed in waves of love and belonging--he just doesn't know the truth behind his past. With the identity of his birth mom sealed in the past, he's been forced to trade that knowledge for the place he belongs. When his adopted mom dies and Becca is accused of foul play, it's his Aunt Geneva who holds the keys to help them piece together a place to belong. My one criticism of him was that he was too nice and trusting, I would have liked to see his doubts and anger a bit more clearly. But that is minor. Handsome and swoon-worthy?--double check! Overall, I loved Isaac.

Ending: Get. The. Tissue. Box. Please. That's all I have to say! Cynthia has done an amazing job touching the heart of the reader with God's ultimate story--redemption! To this I say, amen sister!

If you had to move away into the witness protection program, where would you go?

What career would you choose?

What story would you make up to tell if your life depended on it? Comment for a chance to win a free copy, continental U.S. only.
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

16 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to see you back! <3

    If I had to join the witness protection program (and didn't have any family), I'd want to go to Colorado. Or maybe Southern California. I would go back to school and do something in the medical field probably :) And keep writing books under a pen name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be an ultrasound tech and tell everyone that your great Aunt Charlie broke her hip and asked you to move in, but she lived in a 3rd story apartment building, and the guy next door, welllllll.......he's.........and the story begins....... LOL

      Delete
  2. Good one, Laurie! Mmm. If I had to, I might go to Hawaii and… No, that wouldn't work. I'm tanless. It would be hard to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name would be Agnes, but you'd go by Aggy and you'd be a marine bio-engineer, laid up after a terrible jellyfish sting that kept you from walking and made you have a terrible surgery, and then you'd meet a "friend" who just wanted to "help out" with your therapy.......LOL. Ok, maybe I'm taking my questions too far....Heeheehee! ;)

      Delete
  3. I want to go live by the water...maybe up in Wisconsin and either own a bookstore/coffee shop or be a librarian. Dad always said he bought me from the gypsies - if I didn't look exactly like my mother....but maybe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, a pretty northern lake town....librarian...sweet..

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. :) At least I made myself laugh! I hope others will laugh and have fun too! ;)

      Delete
  5. I think I would want to go to somewhere warm . . . maybe, Texas? My name would be Marie, mostly because that's what my dad always wanted to name me, and I think my job would be like a librarian, or maybe work at a museum. I'm pretty boring. I'm not sure what kind of story I would make up.
    Thanks for a fun giveaway! :)
    ~Sarah
    bookluver1492[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no one is boring!! I don't believe it for a second Sarah! ;) Oh, love the museum idea!! Introverted, cute, hiding behind glasses and a clipboard, very smart, little awkward, meets brash know-it-all who really doesn't..... LOL

      Delete
    2. I actually have the glasses to go with that idea. :) And it sounds like a book I would love to read, no sure how much I would want to live it though. It might be fun to reinvent myself - get to be the person I only ever imagined . . . has possibilities. The only draw back is that I would have to witness a crime and have people wanting to kill me.

      Delete
    3. oh ya, forgot the crime part, and the people trying to kill you part....LOL

      Delete
  6. I'm devious enough--I know. Surprising, isn't it?--to AVOID the name Marie because some shyster somewhere could research my past and find out my dad always wanted to name me Marie, and then he'd hunt me down, and then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I never thought of that Cynthia. I guess I would have to pick another name. How about something common like Anne, or Amy? - I really like the name Amy. Or maybe Charlotte, or Julianna. I like both of those names, too. Do you have an opinion or preference?

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the wonderful review, Anne!!

    Love the story line of "All My Belongings", Cynthia!! Sounds like it is full of emotion, relationships and dysfunction - my favorite kind of book!! I look forward to reading it!!

    If I was in the witness protection program, I'd probably choose to live on one of the Polynesian islands, would remain retired as I now am, and would probably say I had an incurable disease and was fulfilling my bucket list!!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you might run into someone famous who owns their own island, like Johnny Depp, or some decedent of Hemmingway! LOL

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)