Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What's a Writer Working On?






You all have frequently asked what we're "working on"... right now I'm trying to finish my last cup of coffee so I can move on to my next. :) But in the writer's world, there's a fun tour going on to get to know writers. So I said, "sure" I'd take part and in the process, update you loyal readers on where I'm at.

What am I working on now? 
I am writing a story about a man's vengeance trip to find and do away with his sister's assaulter. In the process, he meets up with the daughter of a city banker who was abandoned at childhood and just wants to find her real parents. It all culminates in a massive manhunt when my heroine is attacked by the man claiming to know the secrets of her birth. (yes, it's historical romantic suspense set in 1892)



How does my work differ from others in its genre? 
I can get a little spirited and gritty with my characters. My heroes usually are not particularly "nice" and my heroines are willing to take a plunge into the dark side. Tackling hefty issues like abandonment, assault, and betrayal are par for the course, and what sets it aside is that it's in a historical format. Definitely NOT the prairie romance or the schoolteacher meets rancher story, we all secretly still love!

Why do I write what I do? 
I really like this question. I write what I do because I really love fiction that takes a reader deep into four categories: romance, suspense, history, and a deep spiritual element. Each of my novels has a theme. It's not just spiritual characters woven into a story, but there is a lesson my characters will fight with and struggle with. A common thread. In one book it was grace given when undeserved, in my current it's your value doesn't lay in who God made you to be, but in who God IS.

How does my writing process work?

Write when I have time. Which often means 20 minutes of snippet writing. I will jot down ideas for later, or write a cursory synopsis so I know the general direction of where I'm going. As a mom of two and working full time, my only "process" is to make sure I get something written at least 1K or more words, 5 days a week.

So that's me in a nutshell. What other things would you like to know about me, Anne, or Erica's writing life?

Hop over to meet: Tracy Wainwright! She is a wife, mother of four, writer, speaker, and passionate ambassador for
Christ. Tracy speaks at a variety of settings, including women’s conferences, MOPS groups, writer’s seminars, and women’s luncheons. She is an approved speaker with Stonecroft Ministries, an international organization promoting the Gospel of Christ Jesus. In addition to speaking, Tracy also writes both non-fiction and fiction books, using real-life stories to weave faith, healing, and abundance into peoples’ lives. She has been published in several magazines, including two with LifeWay Christian Resources, and currently writes a fiction column in two local women's magazines. She has published five books - 2 picture books (1 fiction, 1 nonfiction), a prayer journal, a women's fiction novella, and most recently, a young adult novel. Reaching out to people for encouragement is a passion of Tracy’s and she actively connects to other women through blogs, FaceBook (including facilitating a spiritual & physical health support group), and Twitter. Tracy also directs of the Abundant Life Conference for Women (Williamsburg, VA). Tracy is also very active in missions, working diligently to develop and schedule mission opportunities for her church family both at home (Backyard Bible Clubs, Servanthood Evangelism projects, and a Community Dinner for those in need) and away (National Missions Trips). Before becoming a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, Tracy received her Master’s Degree in School Counseling and worked as a family counselor. She uses her combined experiences as a counselor, a mom of four, life travelling companion with other women, Bible study leader, and Women’s Ministry Coordinator to speak and write Life and Faith into others, encouraging them in whatever challenges may come their way. Tracy takes practicality and humor, mixes them on the foundation of Truth, and lifts others up to live radical lives for Jesus. Key Verse: being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

2 comments:

  1. I write in snippets too if I don't wake up early enough to write. All those snippets can add up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Jaime!!

    Loved learning more about your writing, love the four categories of your writing and looking forward to reading your published work!! Would love to read similar posts re: Anne and Erica's writing - always enjoy learning more about one's writing journey!!

    Thanks for the info on Tracy - she appears to be as busy as you!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)