Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Farewell old home, goodbye my childhood

My childhood was idyllic. A country princess story where I roamed the green hills dreaming of true love, history and murder. Yes even then I was a strange child. Lost in a world of stories that rambled around in my head while I wandered the homestead.

My true love made his appearance here paddling me around the family pond in our canoe while I read a book. Planning my engagement with my dad by the barn. Bringing me home after our wedding so I could pack my clothes before bidding my old room farewell.

I squandered hours chatting with our elderly relatives who descended on our farm for holidays they would have spent alone. My grandparents would honk the horn on their diesel station wagon when they arrived from New Mexico. We welcomed strangers in need of respite with wonderful adventures to be told.

We never found a dead body on our farm...much to my moms delight and my chagrin.

This past Saturday I bid farewell to my childhood home. The place with my memories embedded in its soil, it's walls, and my heart. The home that repeated it's haunting melody of welcome to my children and embellished their dreams with its fairy tale wanderlust. Where my son swings from the old oak tree that watched me grow and spin and twist with the old rope creaking as the oak sent branchy smiles my way. Where my daughter races down the paths in her princess dress, and dances through the meadow with the freedom found only in bare feet, muddy toes, and windblown hair. 

Home is innocence. Home is purity. Home is as it should be...for all children...a fairy tale.
I take my memories with me and leave the ghosts of them behind. Farewell, my home. Goodbye, my childhood.

Have you ever bid your old home or childhood playground behind?

________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

14 comments:

  1. No, actually I haven't. I was kinda glad to leave an go away to college at 18. I always felt, living in my trailer-park neighborhood, that I was missing something out there in the bold, big world. I'd never traveled much and I was eager to go to school and see the world! I got my wish!

    Did you move away from your childhood area, recently, and that's why you had to say good-bye to your home?

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Cecelia. Jaime's parents downsized. I have a similar upbringing and live next door to my parents in the country. I know some day, this same day will come for me. Until then, I drive past my idillic childhood home and sigh a sigh of contentment. My children also got to run in the grass and climb the climbing tree, and conquer the woods behind our house with sticks as swords. They hope some day their children will be able to do the same.

      Delete
    2. Yes, my parents sold our homestead in order to retire. It was far too much maintenance for them. Still sad to see the end of a era :(

      Delete
  2. My mom still lives in the same house where we moved to in the summer between my 7th grade and 8th grade. My youngest brother and his wife also live there & they are purchasing the house. Although it is not a farm house, it is out in the country and surrounded by wheat fields. I have many good memories there and although it is now, technically my brother's place, I still find myself referring to it as my parents place--even though my dad is now gone. We had a 'treehouse' that was not in a tree, that I used to enjoy going up into & spend time daydreaming...
    It has since been taken down, but my brother has added SEVERAL play structures, making it a fave place to go and play, for his grandchildren and mine too.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so wonderful it's able to stay in the family!!! our home was offered to both my brother or I, but neither of us were able to move to the location without some drawbacks. :( It's going into good hands though.

      Delete
  3. I have. More than ten years ago, my parents sold the house they moved into three weeks before I was born. I think the hardest thing was driving by the house a couple of years later and it was so different. It wasn't 'ours' anymore. But as the years have gone by, I realize we did get to keep the best part--all the memories we made there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be all right driving by, I think, as long as they don't paint it purple or raze the outbuildings

      Delete
  4. My mom still lives in the home we moved to when I was 8 years old. That day will come, she's 79 and still fighting to live by herself even though her health is failing. I'll let her stay as long as she is able. My memories lie more in my grandparents house. It's sad to drive by there and see the changes made to that old house full of my memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange how memories become such a treasure, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. my mother sold the family home 2 years ago when my dad passed away. It was sad when I drove past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents still live on the farm I grew up on. I know that day is coming and I'll probably have a hard time accepting it. I feel for you and understand how those memories will always be tucked away there, whether you live there or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in a small town (although only a few minutes from a busy metro area) and am currently living in a condo on a land that used to be part of my grandfather's farm. Other parts of it were sold to make room for elementary and high schools. The house was sold and still looks as it did, although an even older beautiful house (my mom was born there) of his was torn down.

    My parents still live on the farm to which I moved when I was 2 or 3 years old. They have health issues and the responsibility of the farm/100+ acres of land/house/3 rental properties has fallen to my brother who has more than he can get done - what with church and other family responsibilities, community missions, etc. - yet my mother refuses to give up her beautiful flower gardens, etc.. The state is developing a huge park system (for hiking, biking & horseback riding trails, etc.) that will eventually encompass numerous counties - and have been in negotiations (for several years) to buy my parent's land which includes a portion of a cobblestone road that will be designated as a historic site, some rare wildflowers, a creek, and adjoins a branch that eventually runs into the Ohio River. As of now, my family has only agreed to sell a very small portion of land - it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years as my parents' health continues to decline.

    However, as with you - Jaime, whatever happens, I will still have the memories of years gone by!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There’s no place like home! That’s why it can be hard for someone to leave the place that has been part of their lives. But there will come a time that you have to live somewhere that’s more convenient for you. Anyway, let’s just hope that the new owner appreciates the beauty of this place as well.

    Terry Kenedy @ Deadwood Real Estate Center

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)