Thursday, May 22, 2014

TBT: Milestones

It's May 2014. 

Ten years ago, I graduated with my Masters Degree.
Twenty-five years ago, I graduated from my undergraduate program.
This year, my youngest graduates from high school.

The first week of my new job, my nurse asked me what my goals were. I replied, "to be six months further down the road." Of course, six months would hardly have given me the experience I have now. But I'd just left a job where I'd become expert, and started a job where I was merely a novice.

There is only one way through to becoming an expert. 
The journey. 

Do you set goals?

In five years, I'll be....well, five years older.
Our daughter will have been out of college for three years, our son for one.
Our nest might not be empty quite yet.
My graduate loans will finally be paid off.
We will have celebrated graduations again. Will there be weddings?
Will our children live near or far? Will we travel to visit them in far away places?
Vacations? Price of gas? Published?
My parents will be 80 and 81.
Lord willing.

Looking back, graduation in 2004 seems like just yesterday, and Ben was 9 and Emily 11.
In ten years from now, I'll be....yep, you guessed....older.
Our daughter will be 31, our son 29.
My parents 85 and 86.
Will retirement loom ahead?
Grandchildren?

Today, while I scurried to and fro, accomplishing life, Chuck Swindoll reminded me that after six days of creative work, God took time to rest.

He TOOK TIME. Notice the active verb tense. It takes an act of will to stop.
Disengage, and just BE with God. Tonight I sat on the patio and just smelled springtime and listened to the birds. When I look back over the last ten years, I can't help but recall the lives and faces of those who've passed on to heaven. Too many of these losses were premature.
We hope for a full, fruitful life.
Lord willing.

TAKE TIME. Smell the beauty of God's creation. Walk with God.
In twenty years, what will my accomplishments matter if I don't walk with God?

Where will you be in 5 years? 10 years? 20?
What will your story be?
How do you actively TAKE TIME?
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter 

11 comments:

  1. Very thought provoking Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like where you see yourself in 5 years, 10, etc, Jolene! :) May God bless your journey there!

      Delete
  2. In five years...hopefully I will have just passed a milestone birthday, we might have an empty nest as my youngest will be 23, the eldest will be almost 27. Maybe I'll be a grandma? Maybe I won't be doing the company bookkeeping anymore? Hey, a girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In twenty years, what will my accomplishments matter if I don't walk with God"?? The most important statement in your post, Anne!!

    How easy it is to get wrapped up in the busy routine of daily living and not take time to "smell the roses", so to speak, or spend time with God. I know it is easy for me to say now that my family is grown and I'm retired and don't have as many responsibilities. I wish I had learned this lesson when I was much younger - I would have still had trials, but they would have been easier with God by my side. When we make a habit of spending time with God, then the other things in our daily life fall into place much more easily.

    I think the older one becomes and the more spiritually mature one becomes -the less important other's opinion of us matters, the less important material possessions are to us, and the easier it becomes to take time to observe and better appreciate the many things God has done for us - both large and small.

    True peace comes from trusting God in ALL things. Today, on the way to my oncologist to find out what further treatments might be in store for me - my car developed problems on a country road a number of miles from the oncologist's office. The first symptom was when my radio/cd player stopped playing my favorite Christian music and shut down. The car then started jerking and having power problems. I knew that God was in control and prayed for the most important thing at the time - getting to my appointment on time instead of being stranded on the side of a country road. God got me to the front door of the cancer clinic, on time, and no farther - I called my brother to make the 25+ mile down to me, kept my appointment, and after my brother jumping and starting the car twice - there wasn't enough power to even get it out of the parking space. He brought me home and I had a friend check the car out after he got home from work - the alternator had gone out, he replaced it and delivered my car to me about 30 minutes ago. God is faithful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Bonnie. And what an amazing story about God's faithfulness and tender care. When we depend on Him, He works all things together for our own good. PTL. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
  4. I had a birthday earlier this month and turned 60, which seems so much older to me than 59! Erica, don't count on an empty nest in five years. My son is 26 and still living at home, but he does have a full time job now as an LPN. I think he's saving his money to get married cause he lives with free room and board, LOL. Two things come to my mind about getting older. You no longer buy green bananas. And as Maxine said, "You know you're getting older when you have to have a shopping cart at the pharmacy!" Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Gail! And I love the green bananas comment. :)
      But I don't think you have to be "old" to realize that life is short and you may not see tomorrow. In the last decade, we've had an unusual amount of death touch our lives. I counted again when I wrote the post: seven of them were premature, six were under the age of 45.

      So, no matter your age: TAKE TIME!!

      Delete
  5. Well, in 5 years I will be in my early 20s and will hopefully have a steady job and a place of my own. I pray my faith will be as strong or stronger than it is now. I hope I am a better person in some way and that I will know where God wants me, 'cause right now, I have no clue. I hope the same general things for 10 and 20 years down the road, though I do hope to get married at some point and have children, so that should go in there, too. Oh, and I will pretty much without a doubt still be reading as much as possible. :)
    Thank you for a thought provoking post, Anne. I usually try to avoid thinking too much about the future, because it just seems so frightening. But thinking about it like this just makes me curious, so thank you. :)
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Sarah. May your future be bright and full of amazing adventure. May our cup runneth over with the abundance God desires to bestow upon you with His great love. :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)