Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Spring has....sprung?


I'm celebrating the fact that it hasn't snowed here in over a week. :)

Spring has finally sprung here in southeast Minnesota, and I for one am thrilled. This past weekend, I got to plant some flowers in my new gardens. My husband helped me transplant some hostas and a bleeding heart, and plant new columbine, stock and my favorite, ranunculus. My lilies are coming up, iris, peony, and my one, lone tulip that survived the deer. Primrose is unfurling its leaves, silver mound is poking through the soil, and the sedum is leafing out and making the promise of its beauty come fall.

Shopping for spring flowers always puts me in mind of my mother-in-law, Lorraine, who passed away almost five years ago. When I came to Minnesota as a young bride and new mother, I had never really gardened before, never planted flowers and watched them grow. Lorraine loved flowers and gardening, and through her, I learned to enjoy it, too. One of my fondest memories of Lorraine was the last time we went flower shopping together. My daughter, Heather, and my sister-in-law, Linda went with us, and Heather pushed Lorraine's wheelchair through the greenhouses and along the rows and tables of flowers. Lorraine knew this would probably be the last time she would ever shop for flowers, the last spring she would have, and she made the most of it. Whatever took her fancy went into the cart. Normally, her gardens were well-planned and predictable, but this time, instead of a row of snapdragons, a row of impatiens, and a row of petunias, she had vinca mixed with astilbe, alyssum beside sweet peas, and more. And it was a beautiful garden.

I miss her, and I'm thankful that she handed down her legacy of gardening and a love of beautiful flowers to me and to my daughter.

Are you a gardener? Do you like flowers? What's your favorite garden flower? Do you have a 'green thumb'?

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE flowers Erica!! Ranunculus!!! Do you start them from seeds? I've wanted so badly to have some, but when I Googled them, they looked so expensive, and I wasn't sure they would grow in my zone. But if they grow in yours, they would grow in mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to grow them from scratch but I couldn't even get them to sprout! I found ranunculus for the first time at my local Menards, and they were on sale for five dollars for a lovely 8" potted plant.

      Delete
  2. I had a bottle brush plant that I bought in Gulf Shores. The little bit of snow and very cold weather we had here in Alabama this winter "killed" my plant, or so I thought. Today as I was outside I found two small shoots coming up from the bottom even though the rest of it looked dead. I was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love that feeling when you see new growth where you didn't expect it. I just found new leaves on my clematis and my double columbine has decided it didn't die after all. :) Yay!!!!

      Delete
  3. Favorite flowers is blue hydrangea. They require little except acidic soil. I also grow a mean crop of dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annual Vetsch Dandelion Infestation is ON! :) I saw beautiful hydrangeas at the nursery yesterday. I'm thinking I might toddle back and get one...or two... :)

      Delete
  4. Sure, I love flowers, but here in New Mexico the only ones that reliably grow are the casuals, which bloom for about a week.

    Still something to look forward to, though.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/05/help-i-married-wrong-person.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a beautiful garden of flowers, Erica!! Like CJ - I have plenty of dandelions. I had a lawn treatment service treat my lawn for the first year after moving into my condo. I found out that my efforts were useless unless my neighbors treated their lawns also, as their weeds blew onto my lawn.

    Having to keep my lawn clear of anything that might cause extra care by the service that cuts the lawns in my condo community, along with having mobility issues - prevents my having much more than hanging baskets and potted plants/flowers on my patio and tiny front porch. I definitely do not have a green thumb, however, my mother does (as do my aunt and my grandfather did also) and has beautiful flower gardens to prove it. I miss being surrounded by them. My favorite's are lilacs and hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)