Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Reunited, And It Feels SO GOOD!




Reunited, and it feels so good...

(I'll wait while you finish the song...)

YAYAY! This week I was reunited with my engagement ring, which had been at the jewelry shop for repair. When the lapidary called to say it was ready, I hotfooted clear to the north side of town to get it so fast I'm pretty sure I left tread marks in the driveway.

It looked so beautiful, fully restored and just as I remembered it. Except for one thing: it was so shiny! Like brand new. In comparison, my wedding band looked a little dingy. The folks at the Rochester Lapidary Jewelers were kind enough to clean my wedding ring so that the pair would look like they matched once more.

Last week, to help me while away the time until I could be reunited with my engagement ring, I offered to give away a copy of North Star Brides my 3-in-1 collection set in Northern Minnesota along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

I'm happy to say, after asking my daughter to pick a number at random, Christina Smith is our winner. Christina, if you will email me at ericavetsch at gmail dot com with your mailing address, I'll get a copy of the story collection on its way to you ASAP.

While at the jewelers, I couldn't help but browse a little bit. I'm not a big jewelry wearer, but I do love to look. I am especially taken with opals. Some say if you're not born in October, you shouldn't wear opals because it's bad luck, but I don't subscribe to that nonsense. :)

I also like aquamarines, because that is my birthstone.

Do you have a favorite gemstone? What is your birthstone?

14 comments:

  1. Yay! My daughter got hers back yesterday as well and it too was clean and sparkling all over the place. She also loves opals and was born in November. Her husband even bought her an opal ring. My birthstone is an emerald and I have a beautiful emerald cut emerald ring that will eventually go,to my granddaughter who was also born in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday month, Gail! Your ring sounds beautiful. I love emeralds, too. :)

      Delete
  2. My birthstone is ruby. I also like diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, pearls, onyx...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you missing your engagement ring - I bent the post on mine last year and had to have it repaired. It felt really weird wearing my wedding band without it. I don't subscribe to the bad luck thing about opals either - my son was born in October so when class ring time rolls around he'll probably choose the opal over tourmaline which is traditionally pink! ;) Mine is blue sapphire for September and while I don't really have a favorite gemstone I tend to prefer sterling silver over gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's b-day is in October, and he opted not to have the pink tourmaline for his class ring either. :)

      Delete
  4. Glad you have your ring back, Erica. I don't wear a lot of jewelry either, although I just picked up a few fun pieces at a seasonal boutique that a friend of mine has. I have always loved pearls and opals, though. My birthday is in November and I have never been a fan of topaz!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have your ring back, Erica. I don't wear a lot of jewelry either, although I just picked up a few fun pieces at a seasonal boutique that a friend of mine has. I have always loved pearls and opals, though. My birthday is in November and I have never been a fan of topaz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why that just posted twice. Sorry about that!

      Delete
    2. No worries on the double post. I happens sometimes...I'm not a fan of the golden topaz, but the blue topaz is pretty. :)

      Delete
  6. I got my ring back after some drama! So good to have it back. Glad you have yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My birthday is in December so my birthstone is the blue topaz - symbolic of love and fidelity, and the alternate is turquoise - representing friendship and luck. I love most any stone, fake or real, but some of my favorites are the bright yellow and bright pink cubic zirconias I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll echo Bonton - with a December birthday I love blue topaz, and am a fan of turquoise (though not the heavy, clunky silver-and-turquoise jewelry so common in the Southwest).

    Deep blood-red rubies are cool, as well.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2014/05/your-marriage-and-nasa-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)