Monday, January 13, 2014

Prayer - It Does a Body Good

I wasn't sure. Look at my face. That's when God speaks and I go, "Wha-!?!" You know how everyone talks about that "word" of the year? The one God lays on your heart and you just know this is something He's going to teach you this year? I saw a pile of them on my Facebook newsfeed as January, 2014 approached.

Joy
Grace
Faith
Expectation
Holiness

The list goes on ...

I tried to force it one year. I prayed for word, thought I got the word "grace", and nose-dived right into forgetfulness. Not that I didn't learn anything that year Spiritually ... no no no ...I did ...but it wasn't as if it aligned with grace.

I wasn't looking this year and then BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! in way too many ways that I could count, did this word keep invading my life. Pray. Pray. Pray.

My friend was entering her eternal home in Heaven around Thanksgiving. Then my other friend, a young mother of two little ones, entered Heaven on New Years Day. I watched some people close to me slammed with discouragement, disappointment, and struggle. Even my son tossed me one on New Years Day as I was hypersensitve already and he jammed Playdough so far up his sinus that he had trouble breathing.

Prayer ... what is prayer? I've never been great at it. Please don't question my loyalty to my Lord, or even my intimacy with Him. Maybe I'm just too...trusting? Does that make sense? I just don't know what to say when I know He already has the situation well in hand.

But these latest events made me hit my knees in a way I never have before. I'm still mediating on it. I posted on a friend's Facebook that getting impressed with the word "Pray!" concerned me. Who else was going to pass away? Was the Lord going to allow so very difficult times in my life this year? What am I being prepared for? And she responded, "or maybe you're going to learn intercession."

Whatever the reason, my life the last few weeks has been richer, for PRAY is on my mind in a way I know it's the Holy Spirit impressing it on me. When something occurs, or I hear of a person's struggle, BAM! Pray. That's all I can think to do. It's fast becoming an instinctive reaction.

It is faith. It is hope. It is ... life.
Psalm 145:5-8
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
    whose hope is in the Lord his God,
who made heaven and earth,
    the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
    who executes justice for the oppressed,
    who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;

The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
    the Lord loves the righteous.  

What is the Lord teaching you ... showing you ... pushing you toward this 2014?

____________________________________

Jaime Wright - 

Spirited and gritty turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :) - Represented by: Books & Such Literary Agency

Find me Online
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest



3 comments:

  1. I haven't been given a word - yet, but our pastor said something a couple of weeks ago that has stayed with me. He said he hated to hear anyone say "God doesn't give you more than you can handle". He stated, "That's so not true! He does give you more than you can handle, because that's when you know to call on Him to help you through whatever you're going through." That has really stuck with me. God wants to help us and He definitely wants us to call on Him for His help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word is encouragement - a word that I try to use with as many people as possible, every day! I have vowed to spend more time in bible study - this year. I'm not the worlds best at prayer - especially in public - but I have learned to do it off, and on, in all my waking hours - in all matters, large, or small. God wants our praise and thankfulness, as well as our requests - but, I don't feel he is concerned with the quality of our prayers, as much as our earnestness!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)