Monday, January 20, 2014

In His Image

He's the spitttin' image.
She looks just like her mother.
In His image He made them.
If you've seen Me you've seen the Father.
May it be unto me as you have said.
Not My will but Thine.


All familiar phrases.

What does it mean to be created in His image? 
We were made to reflect the Father, the One God, the only Living God.

When I was little my mother would send me to my room if I'd been naughty. She used to say, "you may come down when you've changed your attitude." I grew up in a remodeled one room school house with hardwood floors upstairs. Noise would echo through the registers to all parts of the house and I remember kicking my hard soled shoes against the floor beside the register to announce my displeasure to all occupants of the house, hoping to get my own way. Soon my zeal would wane, far from my mother's presence. I soon wanted her acceptance more than I needed to cling to my anger, and I would creep down the stairs, attitude adjusted--for a hug from mom.


Being created in God's image is having the capacity to be transformed by faith.

Hebrews 11 (KJV)
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (NIV)
6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Hebrews 11 reminds of the great witnesses of the past who learned how to allow the Father to give them an attitude adjustment--to transform their hearts. They showed us how to walk with God, and reflected His image.

Left to my own devices, I'd need a huge time out, a major attitude adjustment.
Sometimes I might even kick and protest to demand my own way like I did when I was a little girl.

I'm grateful the Father welcomes me back with open arms when I seek Him, and He recreates His image in me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter

6 comments:

  1. I love this! My mom said the same thing. "Change that attitude!" Hebrews 11 is one of my favorite go-to chapters in the Bible. Love the pictures! My son looks just like his dad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Loree! I love those father-son pics, and yes, love Hebrews 11.

      Delete
  2. AMEN!!!! Sounds like my Kokomo Jo is a lot like you, Anne ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Anne - thankful for a God who ALWAYS has open arms!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, it's that intimacy with God that is so absent in our world, and sometimes even shallow in our churches.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)