Monday, December 9, 2013

The Love of the Father

According to the National Fatherhood Initiative, 24 million children in America -- one out of three -- live in biological father-absent homes. These statistics are taken from the U.S. Census Bureau.

It's been no secret to anyone who knows my husband, that he's been on the search for his bio-dad all his adult life. For him, it's been a haunting question without an answer. He's been blessed with many solid "fathers"--probably more than the average man has been. The image of all of them flash in my mind, Cal, Ron, Henry, Lee, Coach Dan Robinson, Wendell, Vernon, Aden, and Gil…to name a few. Because of the Father, and these men, my husband hasn't become a statistic on the long list of things that befall the fatherless. But that doesn't stop the haunting question….who is he?


We've done family research, he's done generational interviewing, and even genetic testing. All possible roads and bridges have been crossed to no avail. All options exhausted. Now it's in the Father's hands. He will write the next chapters--perhaps not until my hubby reaches heavens doors will he know that truth.

Saturday night, he drifted to sleep on the floor while tending the fire in the stove, only to waken cold and chilled. He stirred the ashes, and put on some kindling and stacked it full, drifting off once again--only to waken sweating before a roaring fire. By then it was after three in the morning, so he crawled to the couch until I woke him at eight.

He grinned through a sleepy haze, "I had a dream--I met my father."

He dreamed a dream. Had a vision, I think. They met. He saw his face, had a conversation, got to say all the things that mattered. It was calm, no angry words. He'd not known of Ted's existence, he said.

He'd be back, he said.

Such a lovely gift.


Ted called his friend on the way to church to have the "what's your lesson on today?" conversation. Brothers in Christ, talking about their Father. They do that almost weekly. Duane told him the lesson was about Gabriel coming to Mary to announce Christ's coming birth.

The question: 
Would you be a scoffer if someone told you they'd been visited by an angel?

Would you be a scoffer if the Father sent his son, and that Son lived and died for us--then promised--he'd be back?

Such a lovely gift. A Father. A Root. A Promise.

He'll be back.
Posted with permission and blessing from Ted.

__________

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook


Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter


4 comments:

  1. My husband came to Christ after a visit from what I truly believe was an angel. Many years ago he was lying on our couch late at night praying for God to help him believe. He told me later as he was praying with his eyes closed he felt a bright light in the room. He was afraid to open them and soon the light disappeared. He was afraid to tell anyone even me for a while, scared he would be perceived as crazy. He still hasn't shared it with anyone but me. I just think it's too special not to share. He has always been scientifically minded so this was a very significant event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't scoff at that Gail. Sounds very sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Anne!

    SUCH an emotional post - brought me to tears, for your husband. I hope his vision gave him comfort, & am wondering if he feels it was a prophetic vision from God? If so - my personal feeling is that it could be a vision that will be fulfilled here on earth, or it could be a vision that was sent for the purpose of giving him comfort, while on earth - but which will only be fulfilled afterwards.

    I believe in angels, & feel that many of us have seen angels, unaware (in a human form), as the bible states, as well as seeing them in the physical appearance of angels. I KNOW that angels, AND, God, have protected me ALL my life, I have escaped numerous serious incidents - which have taken other people's lives, given the same situations. I have no doubt, at all, re: Christ's death, resurrection, & final return - I have the bible to guide/instruct me, but, who knows what my reaction would have been, had I lived at the same time as Him.

    My son's father & I divorced when my son was just 2 years old, his father lived 2 states away - remarried, & had 3 more children. My son never had the close relationship with his father that he deserved - his father died from heart surgery complications, at the age of 39, while my son was still in high school. He has reached out in the last few years to his half-brothers, & sister, & has formed a good relationship with them. His father was adopted, & always felt that he wasn't loved as much, or treated as well, as the biological children of his adoptive family members. This was a disappointment for him - his entire life.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is - that a lot of children grow up without having the kind of relationship they deserve, even after knowing biological parents, or having adoptive parents. Also - a lot of biological parents don't have the emotional &/or mental maturity to have the kind of relationship they need to have with their children, likewise - a lot of them don't even want to meet their children. Perhaps, God has spared your husband the additional pain of meeting a father who doesn't want to be a part of his son's life. The fact that he has had so many wonderful male mentors, tells me that God sent some angels to help care for him, in the absence of his biological father, & he has profited, spiritually, from it.

    I will pray that your husband finds peace in this situation - if he hasn't already. And pray that he will, one day, find the answer to his search - whether it be here on earth, or afterwards.

    Hugs, & prayers, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bonnie, you are right in so many ways, and I hope sharing this story here will inspire the hope of Immanuel--our God with us, a Light in the darkness, a Comfort and Hope.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)