Friday, November 1, 2013

Book Report: A Bride for Keeps, by Melissa Jagears

I picked up a new author for kicks based on the recommendation of some influential people on Facebook. See? Facebook influencing does work when you're supporting the purchase of your favorite author's books! :)

Anyway! It was a pleasant introduction to debut author Melissa Jagears and her new novel from her Unexpected Brides series.

Book #1 is a mail-order-bride story with the over-arching theme of finding acceptance in spite of your past. That acceptance being from man and God both and the value you can find in a redeeming grace, even in the midst of flawed love.

If you love mail-order-bride stories, you'll enjoy this one. It made me want to drink some peach-cinnamon tea with a big patchwork quilt. It was heartwarming, well paced, and touching.

Everett, our hero, has struck out with getting married. Surely after three times a failure, mail order brides are not for him...in spite of his well-meaning and interfering friend.

Julia had yet to find someone who is NOT enamored with her pretty face and what it has to offer and instead can see into her heart. Being her father's pawn has left her wounded and jaded, and surely no man will ever truly love her. So why risk it? Marriage by mail requires nothing but hard work and loyalty--no love included.

It's a beautiful tale of love. If you're looking for a hard driven plot, this won't deliver on that. This is the romance you'll cherish for just that, romance. This is the book you'll treasure for its soft woven Spiritual threads and gentle promises.

So leave a comment about why YOU would have considered being a mail order bride in the 1800's or better yet -- why you WOULDN'T have :)...

*Disclaimer 1: I sheepishly admit the copy I have to give away was sat upon by my 18 month old and son and now sports a crease in its cover. So if you are forgiving of the pre-purchased giveaway copy being sat upon by a delightful little Peter Pan, then please enter our contest :)

* Disclaimer 2: Open to citizens of the USA only -- we don't always do this, but unfortunately, this month, I have to limit postage costs :)

Library Lady, Janet--you are the winner of the free give away. Watch for an email this week!


______________________________________


Jaime Wright - 
Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on my NEW WEBSITE: www.jaimewrightbooks.com
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about her book! Oh goodness, I don't know if I could have been a mail order bride. I would have been too picky. lol
    lattebooks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too picky? I LOVE THAT!! I'm not sure I've read a book where the mail order bride steps off the train, looks at the homely groom and goes "ew" and gets back on!! NOW THAT's a good premise idea ... Melissa Jagears?! :)

      Delete
    2. Hmmmmmm, well the next one is the bride stepping off the train is worried about that......

      Delete
    3. Lol! Glad to have helped with ideas. ;) I'm too independent to have done that, I probably would have tried to make my own way first before being a mail order bride. And then, as I mentioned I probably would have turned right around and left.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind a gently used copy at all=) I get most of my books at the used book store anyway! I know, I know that doesn't help the author much. But I have a tight budget... I do post reviews online if I enjoy a book.
    I did really enjoy Melissa's novella Love by the Letter. I don't often read novellas because there just doesn't seem to be enough time to really develop characters, but hers was great!

    As far as the mail-order bride thing, I probably would have tried it back then if I was in the same situation I was in now (the proverbial old maid!)

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, my 18 month old appreciates your understanding of his misplaced little diaper behind using my prize copy for a chair ;) You know, the mail order bride thing was the answer for a lot of women seeking that companionship. I wonder if the real stories were truly as romantic as our fictionalized ones? :)

      Delete
  3. Would love to read A Bride For Keeps, creased cover, or not! Sounds like a heart-warming story - thanks for the review, Jaime!

    As for being a mail-order bride, I would have wanted to know that I was marrying a Christian man - who made God central in his life.

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sat upon by Peter Pan? All the more to enjoy it.
    The only reason I would have considered being a mail order bride: if it was my only chance at marriage and having children to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) having children!! I bet that was a HUGE driving factor!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the prequel novella so I'm looking forward to this book! I don't think I would have been a mail-order bride. I'd rather do my own thing than get married---not sure if that's independence or selfishness :) Sitting on books is not bad at all. At that age, my daughter used to throw my library books out in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed the novella, hope the novel lives up to expectation! My kids use my books for stepping stones throughout the house ... so glad they don't toss them in the trash!

      Delete
  6. Congrats to the Library Lady! It's kinda hard to think about what I would/wouldn't do in the 1800's since life was so different for African-Americans back then. If I could've been mail order bride, and being one could get me out of a bad situation, then, I'd probably do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia, you made me go off onto a research rabbit trail, hoping to find some accounts of African American mail order brides. My googling didn't come up with anything, but I ended up ordering some history books.......always love an excuse for more history books!

      Delete
  7. I have two grand kids the same age as your two so I know what a toddler can do to anything including a book cover. I'd just consider it his "autograph". I've always been fascinated reading stories about mail order brides. Sarah Plain and Tall is one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)