Wednesday, October 9, 2013

TMI anyone?

Sometimes there's a thing called too much information ... or "TMI" in text-speak. I get too much information sometimes when I'm working a youth kid from church through a problem. Sometimes I get too much info from the newspaper - all biased, of course. ;) ;)

What ARE the standards for TMI in a world where we publish our lives on Twitter, blogs, and forums? My Facebook newsfeed is entertaining and I have probably have the smallest filter. But it's intriguing what we learn about people. Like: how many times someone threw up last night, how someone's heart will be broken if you ever bleep bleep bleep do that again, how tasty them thar carrots were fer supper, and how your jeans just split.

Is it TMI we text people we don't even know and sometimes date people virutally? In a world where modesty and privacy has been demoted to narrow-minded legalism and relationships in their most intimate forms are on prime time TV leaving little to my poor youth kids imaginations? I see how my youth kids at church are so USED to things that when I was 15 would have either knocked the socks off me or else I would have had no idea what was even being said? My one youth kid mentioned she was the only virgin in the girl's locker room and she was considered an oddity when even 15 years ago it would've at least been maybe halvsies at worst!! And they TALK about it and share it as though it's as commonplace as buying a new shirt at Aeropastale!

What is TMI? How do we monitor it? How do we monitor in our everyday life and how do we monitor it in our writing...or reading?  What are your thoughts on TMI today? I'm just mulling it over and thought I'd share ...

Last week's Wednesday Anniversary celebration winner is: Sarah B. "Booklover"!   Watch for an email Sarah!

11 comments:

  1. TMI is when you show someone a scar and years later realize that just maybe it wasn't in the best place to show--and that just maybe it showed more than you realized (triggering those odd looks on the person's face)...and you desperately pray God will block from your mind who you "flashed", and from their mind what they must have seen. (Massive blush, anyone? Sigh...)

    Shoot. Is it TMI to tell you that? (Deeper blush...)

    Okay--on a serious note, I believe TMI is when you are are not preserving the dignity of another person in the telling or retelling of an event, whether it's the person involved in the story or the person who is listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I totally died reading this! And agree with your definition!

      Delete
  2. I believe there's TMI everywhere these days, but the only things that disturb me are the things I don't want my little one's to hear/know. So, I home-school my kids, keep tv to a minimum, and smother them in knowing who they are in Christ so when they encounter TMI they'll be prepared. I like that I can contribute to keeping my littles "little" a little longer than some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Melissa, you can't get innocence back easily, guard it well.

      Delete
  3. When it comes to social media, my general rule of thumb is if I wouldn't share it in a large group in-person setting, then I don't need to share it online. I also don't like to vent my every emotion online...possibly, to get back to that rule of thumb, because I don't tend to vent my every emotion in-person either. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed it's a matter of opinion. Some people may think it's TMI, but, for others, it isn't. For example, when my son was a baby, my mom babysat him one day. When I picked him up, my mother said, he had 2 good BMs. No, she did NOT say BM, but you get my drift. My sister, who has no children, said, "Mom, that's too much information!" I think that info could've been talked about in a roomful of moms, but, if there are people with no children, they tend to be more squeamish about details! LOL!

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, see I'm with you... the children stuff ... there isn't anything hardly that's TMI ;)

      Delete
  5. Yup, TMI is in the eye of the beholder...and hindsight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TMI - probably my comments on your Facebook question a couple of days ago. Believe it or not - I was so bashful in school, that I held my head down when walking down the hall. I agree with Erica, & Cecilia - TMI can be a matter of opinion, & in the eye of the beholder. I also think, most people tend to open up more as they age, because they feel more secure, & care less about what other people think.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)