Thursday, September 5, 2013

Let There Be Books, and There Were Books, and it was Good

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you gave up books for Lent? Not that it's Lent, but work with me here. Have you? Yeah. Me neither. In fact, sometimes I'm glad I'm Baptist and we don't follow Lent to the letter. At the risk of sounding ridiculously superficial and shallow, the idea of giving up books (either writing or reading) is terrifying!

I'm at work today and as such, my mind is wandering to the TBR pile of books in the corner of my living room at home. I want to just bury myself in the pile and never come out. It would be Nirvana ... for a moment. But imagining that pile gone - it's grievous.

I'm also thinking it might be nice to get sick. To rest on the couch with my lap top ALL DAY and work on my first draft of my WIP. More Nirvana? Nah. I'm not Buddhist. Baptist. I'm Baptist. But, still ... what if I couldn't write? What if writing didn't exist, or imaginations were scorned, or fiction was contraband?

It's a terrifying thought - a world without literature - what would your reaction be if suddenly, there was no fiction and all you had left was a thick copy of ... nothing?




(Leave a comment and be entered to win Dani Pettrey's "Stranded" -- visit on Friday for a complete book report and chance to enter again!)






______________________________________





Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest


14 comments:

  1. I'd die, literally. If there was nothing, then books would be on the Black market or something. Have you ever seen the movie The Book Of Eli starring Denzel Washington. The movie takes place in a dystopian society after some catastrophic event involving the sun. Anyway, it's 30 years since this catastrophe and most of society is illiterate. The few who read, are older people, people who were alive before the event, and there are hardly any of those people left. Books are mostly gone, and one of the few readers on earth sends out men, searching for books on the scarred earth. Good movie, reminds me what would happen if we suddenly had a world without books...

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED that movie!!! Didn't even think of it when I wrote this though. Great comparison!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to find that movie and watch it Cecelia, thanks for the idea. ;)

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine! I have always loved books!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the thought makes me physically ill.
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you via Ritty's Adventures in Writing and have been following you on Pinterest ever since, Jaime! You find the best character shots. ;)

    Thanks so much for hosting this giveaway! I'll be pinning it to my "Christian Deals & Giveaways" board in just a minute. Anyways, I can't imagine a world without books! I guess because they've always been such a huge part of my life. Makes me think of a book I read once (haha, ironic) called, "Reading Lolita in Tehran." It talked about a group of women in Tehran who met in secret just so that they could read books forbidden by the taliban. And I'm talkin' American classics--Dickens, Austen, and the like. Punishment for being found in possession of said books could result in jail time or worse.

    We take a lot of rights in America for granted, not least of which is the right to read when, how, and what we want.

    -Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waving Lizzie! Glad you found us here. I'll have to look for you on Pinterest to share character shots. Great point about remembering not to take our rights for granted!

      Delete
    2. So nice to meet you, Anne, and thank you so much for the warm welcome! :)

      Would love to find you on Pinterest! I think you can find me here: www.pinterest.com/lizzie.veldboom

      Delete
  5. Books are one of the few things I wouldn't want to do without (along with music) - just so happy I don't have to (as evidenced by the hundreds I have on numerous bookcases, & in boxes). They are like personal friends that I can't seem to part with - no matter how cluttered my condo gets (but then, I live alone - so who cares?).

    Would love to win Dani's book - thanks for the opportunity!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack, what a horrible thought! I am pretty certain I would be part of some black market secret underground book society for sure. :)
    lattebooks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)