Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Pollyanna Sorta Week

I never knew Pollyanna could be so obnoxious! Apparently, my personality isn't the sunny, lollipop type that sends everyone in my wake into smiling spasms. I'm more of the wisecracking, stinker that raises an eyebrow and chuckles as I get away with mischief. Sigh. I'll never wear a yellow bow in my hair, be able to pull off ringlets in my hair the size of toilet paper rolls, or be sugar and spice and everything nice. My mother tried. She dressed me in pink until I gagged. Hence my predominantly green, black, and brown wardrobe. My Admin Assist throws a party anytime I wear a girlie color - I guess blue is a girl color now. ;)

I declared this POLLYANNA week and by gum, I'm going to keep trying. Although slicing the sarcasm from my vocab is nearly as impossible as suddenly speaking fluent Russian. Niet. But, I can smile. I can smile like my cheeks can't stretch far enough. In fact, I smiled so much yesterday I swear my cheeks touched my earlobes. Try it. It's a feat in and of itself.

I smiled like Pollyanna at the grocery store. I think the cashier may have been suspicious of drugs, but the bagger was an older gentleman who rarely gets thanked. He stared at me in shock as I bubbled over and over with nauseating smiles and oohed about the paper bag. I love paper bags. So crinkly, so papery ... so not plastic ... so not ... saving trees. Anyway, by the time I got done smiling with the efficiency of Happy the Clown, he was smiling too. And I do believe he skipped a few hops and jumps to the next aisle. See? Pollyanna.

Have you given someone a Pollyanna moment this week? I'm not done either. Once the grocery store drops the drug charges, I'm off to smile some more - it's a natural high - and healthy too. Even if you look ridunculous in a yellow hair bow.




(Leave a comment and be entered to win Dani Pettrey's "Stranded" -- visit on Friday for a complete book report and chance to enter again!)





_____________________________________






Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest

13 comments:

  1. Ahh...Pollyana! Let's play the Glad Game! I remember that movie from my childhood! Thanks for the memories! :-)

    Cecelia Dowdy
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to get that movie for my kids to watch. ;)

    By the way, I thought of you this morning when I was making my coffee. I had creamer issues (which is not to say you have creamer issues). I discovered I was using fat free instead of regular half and half...explained why I haven't enjoyed it as much this week (I was worried there was something wrong with me!). Really, though, the deep coffee ponderings prompted me to come say hi. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - glad I graced your morning thoughts over coffee ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm drinking coffee now! Glad you think of us when you enjoy your own cup of brew in the morning, have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. ...and a tad warped, but eh, who's keeping track?

      Delete
  4. Haha! I was born without the Pollyanna gene also, sadly. Or not sadly, depending on how you look at it. ;)
    It is sometimes fun to pretend that way, just to make those around you wonder if you bumped your head recently.
    Wonderful post. *sigh* You made me smile. Not nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I'm smiling just thinking about you as Pollyanna!!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, Jaime!

    My mother gave me a Pollyanna moment Labor Day & usually, every time I see her, as she is the eternal Pollyanna - too bad that I take after my father, instead of her.

    I always loved the movie Pollyanna, & I developed a life-long love for prisms from that movie!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)