Monday, August 12, 2013

Shooting Stars--God's Great Glory

Tonight is supposed to be the start of the Perseid meteor shower which occurs each August when the Earth passes through the debris left by the comet Swift-Tuttle. These stray bits of comet dust hit our atmosphere and burn up, creating light streaks across the sky. I went outside last night to watch, but we had too many clouds to see any. Instead, I enjoyed the chorus of crickets, cicadas, and a small show of lightening bugs--but no shooting "stars". I hope to see some tonight.

The night sounds made me thankful for God's creation--the clouds by day, the stars by night. 


Psalm 19: 1-6


 How clearly the sky reveals God's glory!
    How plainly it shows what he has done!
2 Each day announces it to the following day;
    each night repeats it to the next.
3 No speech or words are used,
    no sound is heard;
4 yet their message goes out to all the world
    and is heard to the ends of the earth.
God made a home in the sky for the sun;
5     it comes out in the morning like a happy bridegroom,
    like an athlete eager to run a race.
6 It starts at one end of the sky
    and goes across to the other.
    Nothing can hide from its heat



(by permission: www.freedigitalphotos.net)

I love that "no speech or words are used" yet just to look upon the skies speaks volumes to me about God's creative power.

Enjoy your summer nights.
Look for a shooting star!






4 comments:

  1. I'd meant to watch the meteor shower, but, I forgot about it. Glad you were able to enjoy the night sounds and the crickets. It's always nice to sit outside and enjoy God's creations!

    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Cecelia. Most people I talked to at work yesterday said they didn't see any either. Now last night again we had clouds, then a big thunderstorm. Maybe tonight.

      Delete
  2. Very cool post. I love the sky...I love all the colors and moods of it. :) And, yes, how it reflects the awesomeness of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors--I love that too Melissa.

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)