Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Report: Dark Road Home, by Elizabeth Ludwig

It was such a thrill to have Elizabeth guest on our blog this last Tuesday. And now I get to review her book AND give it away! (Which, btw, the winner of last week's drawing In Plain View, by Olivia Newport, is Amy C.) 

So first of all, I just want to thank Anne for hooking me up with Elizabeth's books. Anne did a great review of Elizabeth's first book, No Safe Harbor this last October, and I've loved Elizabeth ever since!

Dark Road Home takes us to New York, where the immigrant community is alive and ... deadly. I totally loved the suspenseful, dark pallor over this beautiful historical romance. It was the perfect blend of suspense, history, and love. I could smell the dank walls and cold floors of the Ellis Island institution where immigrants were secluded diseased and insane. I could feel the reverence of Our Lady of Deliverance Catholic Church where women and children are sheltered and fed.

The heroine Ana and hero Eoghan are so thoroughly Irish it's beautiful. The ties to the old Irish organization of the Fenians lends itself to that gritty Irish conflict in Irish government and mafia-like ties. Ana's secretive past keeps the reader on their toes wondering what it is she's running from ... or rather ... who.

I had one teary mom-moment in the book. No spoilers but sheesh!! Elizabeth had me choked up picturing my little girl and fire and needing help and ... ok... I can't say any more but THANKS A LOT, Elizabeth. I never cry in books, but I did in that scene.

Romance? Oh, you romance lovers just want to get to that and skip the suspense? Ok fine. No worries there. It's as thick as the suspense and just as yummy. Yummy in that pure, tingling Inspiration fiction sort of way. It kept me smiling and looking for more. Eoghan is the hero we all love to love and Ana the heroine that we all want to relate to. Every kiss is palpable. Elizabeth is a master at romance!

OK! So you want a chance to read this?? Enter to win by leaving a comment here (and if you left one on Tuesday this will be your double entry!). Let us know if what your heritage is? Did your forefathers come through Ellis Island?

Winners will be announced next Friday!


______________________________________


Jaime Wright - 

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook

Find me on Pinterest

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, ooh, I need to read an Elizabeth Ludwig book! Especially now that you say the romance is yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My forefathers came from Germany, England, and Ireland. Most came in the 1600 -1700s. My grandmother came from Northern Ireland but didn't go through Ellis Island.
    campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books look so good! My ancestors came from Holland via Russia/Ukraine, and I guess they came just before Ellis Island was the main entry port. Some came to the USA and some to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one was so good - I simply can't wait to get my hands on this one. Sounds indeed 'Yummy' to me! Thank you for this. My main roots are Caribbean but I have some English and French roots as well. SOO hoping to win this book!!!

    g.gclermont AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t know much about my father’s side, other than his mother’s family was Swedish. My mom’s side was mostly Swiss, German, and English. There is some French way back the line somewhere too, and a tiny bit of Irish. My 4th great grandfather immigrated here from Germany and he was Lutheran. His wife died while in Germany, and he had several children. He was unable to care for them all, so he ended up sending what would have been my 3rd great grandmother to live with an Amish family. She converted and married into an Amish family. It all is so fascinating. I can’t imagine the hardships our relatives knew. And here I complain when my computer is being slow. It really puts things into perspective!

    I haven’t read No Safe Harbor, but it has been on my to read list since it came out. If I win, I will have to buy it for certain!

    emmamalissa(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how wonderful this book sounds! I love a romantic suspense! Thank you for sharing!!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sounds so good. I know that from my father's side we are German and I just recently found out that on my mother's side we are Jewish. I don't know of how we got here from either side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Makes me really want to read this book!
    On my Moms side there is German heritage, but not sure if they came through Ellis Island. I think they came before that time period...

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to read this book - had never really thought much about Ellis Island, would now like to investigate whether any of my ancestors were there. My ancestors are English, Scottish, & German.

    Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy of the book!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)