Monday, July 1, 2013

How to get some "me" time...

Here's me, on a Sunday night before bed, trying out my new laptop and its webcam and thinking about the devo for--today. I'm not feeling especially inspired. Especially since I just lost the last hour of precious reading time because a little girl kept getting out of bed and whining about having to GO to bed. Sigh. There went my Sunday night ...

I guess that does inspire me. Inspire me to be thankful God doesn't react to His children the way I react to mine. I could argue it's because He doesn't have time constraints and working 45-50 hours a week at my day job and then church stuff, house stuff, kids stuff eating up the other hours, doesn't leave much for me. Me. Me. Me. Gosh darn it. Oprah was right. Take care of ME FIRST and the rest of the world will be happy, right?

Errrrrrr.

Let's rethink... the reason said little girl keeps getting out of bed is because tonight is girl's night slumber party. She gets to sleep with Mommy in the big bed (Daddy got sent to the basement). She's so excited for Mommy to come to bed. "I just can't wait any more."

Sigh.

I need free time for me, huh? To read a book that in three years I'll forget I ever read? To edit a book I'm writing that not a single agent or editor is waiting for? To play with a new laptop that's already outdated the minute it left the factory?

Yeah. I need free time.

Forget it. You know I'd love to blog for you all but I have a little girl who's 3 going on 16. She's waiting for mommy snuggles. In a year, they won't be there any more. So maybe the Lord had it right when he said, "I am with you always". A promise that when we need Him, He's waiting--He's not tied up with other things, working on "me" time, or busy washing dishes. As little children we desire--we ACHE--for time with our parents and for some reason we grow out of that. Not today. Want to get rid of the Monday blues? Go to your Father in Heaven and say, "I just can't wait any more"! Trust me, He won't shove you off like I just did my baby.

Off for snuggles. What have you sacrificed in lieu of "me" time?

Edit: I left blogging and went into the bedroom. A little blonde head popped up.
"MOMMY! Is time for you to go ni-nite too?"
No, baby," I said. "But I just want to hold you and it's our slumber party. So here I am."
"That's good, Mommy, 'cause I'm going to hold you soooooo tight that when you want to leave you can't."
I was hugged like her favorite teddy bear and in a record five minutes, she was sound asleep.

That is a moment I will never get back. That is a moment for me. Guess I got "me" time after all. 


______________________________________


Jaime Wright -

Writer of Historical Romance stained with suspense. Youth leader. Professional Coffee Drinker. Works in HR and specializes in sarcasm :)

Find me on Twitter
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest 

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you mean. I've found that, when I need ME time, and I'm working on writing project, I'll do it in the morning before work. Getting up at 4AM is NOT PLEASANT, but, it helps me to whittle down my TO-DO list! I hope all of you at Cups and Camisoles have a blessed week! :-)

    ~Cecelia Dowdy~
    http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Jaime. I'll admit, I woke up with a case of the Monday blues today after having a five-day trip with friends last week. It's hard getting back into "real life" and the day job and all that. But I REALLY sensed God telling me to take some time with him this morning and not shove that off in a desire to sleep in a little later. Does sleeping in count as "me" time? Because I did sacrifice it this morning and it really did feel like it made all the difference in my attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwwwww.

    Now I wanna cry!!!!

    You're a GREAT Mom, Jaime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to put "me" last. I know, I struggle with the same thing. But God has shown me time and time again, that if I will put others first and so honor/worship Him, He will make sure I have the time I need for my writing/reading. Now if only I would take it to heart and stop making the same old, selfish mistakes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)