Monday, June 10, 2013

Don't Worry

Ever have a moment when someone says just a few simple words, and they land on your heart like they were straight from the Spirit of God?

That happened to me this morning at worship practice.

This week marks the start of a few changes that have potential to create anxiety. Worry. Unnecessary energy spent on things that are out of my control--yet they affect me.

I know, it's the story of our lives, right?

My kids left to work at church camp for the next eight weeks, and my partner at work took a week of vacation. So, even though having our college-aged kids back home with their extra laundry, appetites, and attitudes was an adjustment, I've enjoyed sharing the work load of making suppers, and dividing household duties in four ways instead of two. I've soaked up their hugs, laughter, and some-oh-so-wonderful conversations. Though I will enjoy the peace and quiet, and the sound of the electric bill that just dropped by quantum leaps--the silence also heralds the season to come. The season of empty nesting.  Don't get me wrong, I'm good with that. Most days. <insert face of uncertainty>

And as to this week at work? When my partner is gone on vacation, I realize what big shoes he has, and how small my feet are. But I also remember how blessed I am to work with such wonderful people.

I was glad to fill in on the worship team today. I knew I'd need the amped-up touch from God to launch my week. We had a good practice. When we were done, a man at church prayed for the worship team before we stopped for preservice Sunday School.

He stepped to our small circle, Bible in hand--and that's when those words landed on my heart.

Don't worry about tomorrow. 
For God is already there. 

My throat tightened. My eyes burned with moisture.
The knowledge that God is the Holy One among us, settled on me.
I am not alone.
My God goes before me and beside me.
He hems me in.
One day at a time.

Isaiah 12 (NIV)


2 Surely God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense;
    he has become my salvation.”
3 With joy you will draw water
    from the wells of salvation.
4 In that day you will say:

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done,
    and proclaim that his name is exalted.
5 Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
    let this be known to all the world.
6 Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
    for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.

As you go forth into this week, may you also have a sense of the Holy One of Israel, at work, among you, going before you.

Our God knows about your anxious thoughts. But don't worry about tomorrow, for He is already there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter


4 comments:

  1. This is really wonderful, Anne. You know, I've read a couple things just this morning on affirming truth and God's word. And as I read your post, I kept thinking, the more truth I fill my mind with, the less space there is for worry and anxiety.

    Thanks for the morning encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Melissa! Great thoughts. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. What a blessing to receive this encouragement, just as you are needing it. Keep on keeping on, & be blessed!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)