Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Report: The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah Ladd


Delightfully enjoyable.
Compelling characters.
Magnetic hook.
Romantic believability.
Stunning cover.

Huzzah to debut author Sarah E. Ladd!
This is what I love to see in a new author. She has worked hard to hand us a well crafted story that pulls you within pages and keeps you up past bedtime! Such quality promises great things to come from Sarah.


Setting: Darbury, England, 1814. I was swept once again to memories of the moors and manors of Austen's Jane Eyre--Thornfield Hall, and the wondrous stone manors of George MacDonald's works. In a time where women's wealth existed not for their independence or power, Ladd's heroine is caught between complying with the wishes of others or remaining true to her word. Her promise to a friend.

Romance: I love a great period film. By page 24, I could see this story as a movie unfolding before me. Sweet as a Jane Austen film with veiled tension filling every word of dialogue. Swoon factor to the max with Graham Sterling. From the very first two chapters, I was rooting for Graham and Amelia Barrett.

Plot & Characters: When Amelia Barrett promises to raise her dying friend's daughter, she cannot bare to abandon the child to a life of motherlessness. She defies family expectations to risk her heart and wealth in order to keep her word.

She concocts a bold plan to propose to the child's father--a sea captain she's never laid eyes on!

Graham Sterling has loved the surety his captaincy has given him, but a new daughter and her beautiful caretaker weave their way into his wake, and to a marriage arrangement that redefines his idea of a comfortable future.

Theme: The expected path, the obvious easy road ahead, or the predictable routine of our past life--may not be the path we should take as we look to the future. But so often, we are afraid to make a drastic diversion from the expected. What blessings might we forego when we are too afraid to step out and grasp a hold a the path God has set for us--one of dependence on His will, and a surrender of our own? What is gained is by far richer than what is lost.

Overall, I loved the pace and balance of plot, description, dialogue, suspense, and romance.
So, HUZZAH Sarah! I can't wait to read your coming releases in the future.

Questions: leave a comment for a chance to win a free copy, add yourself to our blog followers for another chance to win, or leave a Facebook comment for another chance. Winner announcement April 19th.
Do you love regency? or Jane Austen?
What is your favorite period film and why?
Have you ever chose a path against all that was expected of  you in order to follow your conscience? or what you believe to be God's will?


Sarah's Bio:

In addition to a lifetime of writing and exploring fiction, Sarah has more than ten years of strategic marketing and brand management experience. She lives in Indiana and is blessed to share her life with her amazing husband, sweet daughter, and very lovable Golden Retriever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. Nurse Practitioner by day. Wife, mother, writer by night. Coffee drinker--any time.

Find me on:Facebook




22 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to a new writer :) I love this period. The cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered it on Amazon so can't wait for it to come! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love the unexpected of the regencies! Not knowing what is around the next corner or heath! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I agree! Can't wait to read this!

      Delete
  3. ARG--hate it when my wifi messes me up and causes me to lose my comment! Lets try again!

    This looks like a good book and it is great to see a new author do so well. I'm excited for her.

    As to your question, I had to go against the wishes of my sister-in-law when it came to choices for my parents. She thought we should force them to come back hoe after they developed more serious health issues after going to AZ. (they were "snow birds" for many years. Instead, I chose to fly to them and make arrangements for them to see Dr. for some diagnosis & it was decided after conferring with them, that if I helped them get set up for home health care for assistance, they could stay until their originals plans were for their return. Even though my SIL was very upset with me at the time, I was glad I was able to be instrumental in giving them a few more months of independence, before they had to stop their travels; however, I'm also very thankful for my SIL & brother for all the time and effort they have extended towards my parents until the death of my father a few years later, and their continued love and care for my my now--something I have been unable to do, because of my husbands work schedule (I travel extensively with him...).

    vmarney(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such difficult decisions, aren't they?? Thx for sharing and welcome to the CCC Blog!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

      Delete
    3. Yes, tough decisions, hard to see the outcomes ahead of time...

      Delete
  4. Looks great! Thanks for the introduction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting me here today, and thank you for the lovely book report!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the setting and time period for this book and the story sounds great too! Looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if you love this period, it won't disappoint!

      Delete
  7. I have always enjoyed the regency time period, and this new novel sounds so interesting! I'm adding it to my wish list. Sarah, congratulations on its publication and wishes for many more!
    may_dayzee (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, thanks for being a faithful visitor here on CCC. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this on!

      Delete
  8. What an unusual plotline...can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melody! Great to meet you here. Thanks for posting and your name just went in the hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading about this time period! I can't wait to read the rest of the story.... I read the first 3 chapters as a preview... Lol bad idea because I have been waiting forever now for the book to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Lisa. You're hooked aren't you?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)