Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"The End"

After a year of writing, I've finally finished my WIP.
What Sweet Satisfaction to finally type the words: 
THE END.

But finishing up the writing of a novel gives much more of an afterglow than finishing up the reading of one. Just like a reader may not want to start reading a new novel with her favorite characters still dancing in her head, so the writer has a challenge to move on to the next story.

Well, I'm still basking--totally not thinking of my next WIP yet.
Because, my final scene looks something like this:

My heroine


A Haven in the Snowstorm


And her Hero who brings her home...
(try to imagine him in the snow too--because I totally see it in my head! LOL.)

What books or movies left you with that afterglow of a satisfying ending?

My votes: Pride & Prejudice, North & South, Bride in the Bargain, and this week's give away--My Stubborn Heart.

How important is the pace of the ending to your level of satisfaction as a reader?

Have you read a book that the end dragged on and on, or one that you felt the author was sick of their own story and rushed to the end? How did that affect your satisfaction?

11 comments:

  1. For instance, I just finished the final episode of Downton Abbey--no spoiler---but I was NOT satisfied. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.--totally unrelated--I love to watch the stats for our blog posts. Yesterday was our 100th post. This week we are about to hit 10,000 page views! I'd LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE it if YOU are a LURKER here, to see you add your face and name to our BLOG FOLLOWERS list on the right hand sidebar--we'd LOOVE to hit 100+ blog followers.

    Why is it so important we know who lurks here? Well--IT WOULD BE FUN; but also to know our audience and help decide what our readers enjoy best here at CCC; to create a community; and also for any future publicists who look at our reach to know what kind of numbers we are hitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10K views? Wow!!! COOOOOLLLL!! YES LURKERS! Talk to us! :)

      Delete
  3. I think I have read more rushed endings than dragged out endings. I like a fast pace to the end, but then I always like that last scene, a slower pace but my heart is pounding, center stage lights just on the MCs...heartfelt words, caresses, kisses...fade to black.

    Yep, that's what I like. :) Congrats on THE END! This stinking WIP is never going to have an end in sight. Not if I keep revising. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a looooong kiss. I mean, haven't we waited the entire book for it? Nothing worse than a "he leaned in and their lips met." The end. Blah.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on THE END.

    Such sweet words to a writer.

    I have basked in afterglow of my own stories until revising...and revising...lol!

    Yay on your page views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! ANNE WROTE "THE END"! I'm so proud!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Anne!!! That is a totally awesome feeling, for sure. :) And I love those little glimpses you shared with us - sounds like my kind of story!

    As for movies that left me basking in the afterglow - yes, yes, yes on North & South! The first time I watched that one, I was so moved by the beauty of the ending: the romance, the music, the scenery, and everything! I went to bed (quite late, I believe) with a very happy smile on my face as the music floated through my head. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. North and South IS an amazing film, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. You could have "danced all night"??? :) I love those good oldies too like My Fair Lady and Sound of Music. Thanks for commenting Amber, Loree & Jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hero/heroine pics, Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)