Friday, February 22, 2013

Book Report: Shattered, by Dani Pettrey

Wow!! You all welcomed Dani to our blog this last Wednesday with a flourish! So now you know why I'm so excited to feature Dani's book today for my book report. Shattered is definitely a book you'll read and then read again and then, maybe one more time.

Suspense: Ok. This is for our blog reader Melissa :) who doesn't read suspense but was tempted to try this one and hope it didn't give her nightmares. Let me clarify--there is suspense and then creep-factor-murder-horror-oh-my-gosh-we're-all-gonna-die terror. Dani does not write from that point of view. While there is a death at the beginning of the book, there's no major creep factor. While some danger abounds, the suspense is more of a mystery to be solved. SO read freely, dear Mel, and if you DO get freaked, it's a good excuse for a snuggle with the husband.

Characters: The characters in Shattered continue to the story of siblings. I will clarify that you do NOT need to have read book #1 Submerged to understand or enjoy Shattered. They are both stand-alones, although part of a series. Anywho--yes. Characters. Piper. Our heroine. I will admit she peeved me a bit, until I realized she was headstrong, stubborn, determined, and way too much like me. Except I don't snowboard. I rock climb. There's a difference. She's plucky. That's what I liked about Piper. Plucky and sassy while somehow remarkably vunerable--at least where Landon is concerned. Landon. Enter hero. Enter WAY AMAZING hero. I love heroes. I think they make or break the book. He didn't break the book, he almost broke Piper's heart, but then ... isn't that what makes a great character. Speaking of characters, the sub cast is equally thrilling. I love the siblings--I can see book #3 ramping up with big brother Gage as the hero. Go Dani!

Setting: C'mon. It's Alaska. How is that not the neatest place in the world? Unless you're a die-hard sun/beach fan then we might have a problem. But I love that Dani features the sporting side of the wilderness. Diving, snowboarding, (hopefully climbing is coming) and skiing. Snowshoeing--that would be good too, Dani--I love to snowshoe. Anyway, if you're even remotely a wilderness nut like myself, you'll totally enjoy this setting. Wave goodbye to the city, hello mountains, avalanches, icey water, and snowflakes.

Romance: Pitter patter worthy? No. Not really. SLAM SLAM SLAM worthy! That's my heart. Almost had a heartattack. Be sure you have heart insurance 'cause Dani stretches it to the limit with this one. Landon and Piper are at each other, for each, irritating each other, doubting each other, and every other-other you can think of.

Spiritual Content: Dani is definitely a die hard Jesus freak. But her books are tasteful and not in your face. However, the Spiritual thread is thick and you CAN walk away having learned something to apply to your walk of faith. I really appreciate that about Dani's books and perhaps is the best takeaway. Being able to be ministered to through a fiction novel is awesome. Love love love it.

SO a massive 27 stars to Dani's latest. Usually it's 5 stars but I think 27 is more accurate. Check out a full synopsis of the book at Dani's awesome website. And we're giving away a copy! How cool is that? So here's how you can win:

1. Leave a comment
2. If you already left a comment earlier this week, then hop on over to Anne's Facebook page and my Facebook page - like us and leave a wall post letting us know you did. That will gain you an entry.

We'll announce the winner on Monday, so you have all weekend to wait on pins and needles! :)
Winner of Becky Wade's My Stubborn Heart is: strgth4yu---please leave us your email!

21 comments:

  1. Everyone is welcome to comment for a chance to win a free copy, but I've added an Amazon purchase button on the lower right hand sidebar for those impatient readers who want to order your own copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly new to your blog and am enjoying it so much. Just figured out how to work network blogs on FB. Really I'm not too tech savvy as you can imagine. I loved the format of this post today. Dani's books have all the elements that I look forward to when I read. You laid them out beautifully. Again, thank you for sharing and I'm looking forward to reading many more posts. Also I'll be follwing your pages on FB. Blessings, Susan Fryman susanngarrylee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so glad you're hanging around our blog. WE LOVE getting to know our readers and hopefully you can win one of our book drawings in the future :) See you around the blog and our FB! :)

      Delete
    2. Susan,

      Waving hi! Thanks so much for dropping by! Isn't it a fabulous blog. Quickly becoming one of my favs too :)

      Blessings,
      Dani

      Delete
    3. I really like it too! Nice job, ladies. Will keep this blog in mind.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great would love to win. I will try to win first.. If not then we go another route LOL
    Blessings
    joeym11@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. Best of luck in the giveaway :) Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

      Delete
  4. Jaime,

    Thank you SO much for taking the time to read Shattered, and for your amazingly thoughtful and enjoyable review. You have a fantastic sense of humor and writing style--love it!!! So appreciate you and Anne featuring me this week. Love to you ladies! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaime,

    OH, and can I just say...I've never gotten 27 stars before :DDDDD I'll be smiling all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, okay, I'll quit lurking! I'd love to read Dani Pettrey's book, Shattered, and I'd love it even more to win my own personal copy. Thanks for a great Book Report!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to win this one! Or, even better, Submerged, which I don't own yet. But there's so much I could do with another copy of Shattered! And yes...I absolutely agree with a 27 star rating on a five star scale. ABSOLUTELY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book. Please add my name to the giveaway. Will have to check the library but hope to win a copy. Thanks.

    msbookwormlady(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a book report! I enjoyed it very much Anne and am grinning as I'm writing this. (You're quite funny.. :-) More eager to get my hands on a copy now. Thank you for the chance to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for a wonderful report and 27 STARS!!! Now I know I HAVE to have this book! Thank you and bravo! BTW, I am a Fellow Coffee Guzzler! LOL
    Nancee
    quiltcat26[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just in case you didn't notice, I "like" you both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really would love to read this book! Thank you for the chance.
    Karen G
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Already liked Anne's FB page, now I liked Jaime's FB page.
    Karen G
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)