Monday, December 3, 2012

Walking Through Each Other's Darkness

2 Corinthians 1:7

English Standard Version (ESV)
7 Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.
2012 has been a difficult year for my family. At the risk of sounding like a complainer, we have battled post partum depression, massive job strains, an absent Daddy on missions trips and youth work, illness including pink eye, stomach flus, bronchitis, and more. Sound unique to us? No. Not really. We can all list the stresses that attack us on a daily basis.
I wrote a FB message to Anne last week where I "dumped". My words were: "...Just not sure how long I can go without ever being able to do anything like exercise, have a Bible study, prayertime that's not on the run, etc. ..." We all have our stresses and our overwhelming obstacles of life. Enough of the competition, let's face it-- stay at home moms, career moms, any mom, gets overwhelmed and faces burn out. We all have our limits. Last week I hit mine.
It was interesting to me after I finally allowed myself to word-barf my problems to Anne, that just doing so made me a bit lighter. Especially when she replied in encouragement. I didn't carry my burden alone. Funny thing was, she had a few burdens of her own, so I was able to reciprocate. Then I left work to head home to the piles of housework, childcare, etc. that awaited me.
I arrived home to a sparkling kitchen, toys neatly put away, a bathed daughter, a fed son and supper on the table. God love my blue-eyed man! He apologized for having to eat and run but off to work my youth pastor husband went ... two ships passing in the night. My 7 month old son decided to clonk out in his crib from 5 pm straight through to 9 pm. That left four hours of undevoted Mommy and Baby Girl time. Time we haven't had in ... well, forever.
I danced -- WE danced in abandon. Literally. Turning the music up on TV we flailed our arms, wiggled our legs, jumped and landed in a pile on the floor. A giggling mass of girlieness for over an hour. It was beautiful.
In the midst of my joy, I texted Anne: "You must be praying for me". She replied: "I am."
Don't forsake friendship. Don't forsake sharing in each other's afflictions. The blessings of the comfort that comes in walking through each other's darkness' with them, joining together because of the unshakeable bond of Jesus, is a treasure. Knowing that comfort makes Jesus all the more alive, precious, and real.
And when my baby girl took my face between her two palms and whispered through rosy lips, "Mommy, you are enough for me"... I wept. Tears of joy. Tears that even through the overwhelming nature of life itself, the Lord shines down blessings through best friends, baby girls, and wild dance.
Have you danced in abandon lately? Have you experienced sharing in or receiving another's comfort?

17 comments:

  1. Sniff sniff, teared up. Love you. And all you readers out there--let's remember to hold each other up in prayer today and throughout this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word.
    I want to cry like a baby.
    "Mommy, you are enough for me."??
    Jaime, write that on you heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! I love dancing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, how beautiful, friend!

    I love how God gave us all each other. When this writing thing or this life thing gets tough, we can help carry each other. I'm blessed to have so many friends who will pray for me and encourage me in those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It warms me everytime I know Christ's community comes together in love and comfort!

      Delete
  5. Jennifer Major linhked this on Facebook - I'm glad she did. What a lovely anecdote, one to brighten anyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, so glad you stopped by and were able to have your day brightened!! I love how FB helps us find encouragment! :)

      Delete
  6. I've learned not to underestimate prayers! We might not always see results the way we WANT, but God is working. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN!!! Especially when we don't see results, it's so encouraging to know we're not alone!

      Delete
  7. Okay, I'm teary-eyed. I love the beautiful friendship you and Anne have, encouraging, edifying, and enveloping one another in love.

    And big-time husband points to your man.

    Dance like nobody's watching! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll dance even if they ARE watching 'cause they'll run away pretty fast :) :) YES major husband points to my man!!!:)

      Delete
  8. This is wonderful! What a blessing it is to have friends who will pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, so glad everyone came by today to get your cup filled up!
    You just never know who the Spirit will move into your path! or how important your prayers really are to someone. And I was just reminded this week to take much more seriously when someone crosses my mind. I pray that God will help me tune into His promptings more everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)