Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What's In YOUR Name?

(*check out our SECOND drawing at the end of this post)
(c) Billy Frank Alexander Design
Courtesy of Stock.xchng

What's in YOUR name? Did you know names actually mean something? Well of course you did, why else do we call our cranky co-worker "Mr Grinch", or label our mopey next door neighbor "Eyeore". Every name has a connotation, whether we realize it or not.

When my husband and I named our children, we tossed around the standards, then the crazy faddish names that hit the top ten list every year - "Neveah" being the new popular female name. ("Heaven" spelled backward. See? Meanings). We finally settled on a pretty name -- well, we though it was pretty. My daughter's name means, "Growing in God's Graciousness". Let's hope she does 'cause she sure inherited a massive dose of Mommy's sassiness. My son's name means, "Defender of the Weak". So far for a five month old he successfully leveled a drop kick on our cat, so perhaps he has defense mechanisms.

Did you know your favorite authors have to be careful what names we pick? (Don't you love how I said "we" and included myself in "favorite authors"? lol). I've learned a lot in story telling, and names MEAN something. A hero named "Horace" doesn't scream -- super duper hotty. Sorry. Nope. A heroine named "Gertie" doesn't spring to mind a confident heroine I can believe in. Sorry, Gerties of the world. A man named "Jayden" in a historical isn't believable. A heroine named Star in a historical might work if they're in a questionable industry, but isn't probably the first pick for a modest, temperant young lady.

How does the name sound in comparison to other characters? I had Jeremiah and Hezekiah in my first chapter. Aside from being extremely Biblical in nature and a bit Old Testament -- the "iahs"got a bit redundant. Quickly. Too many names starting with the same consonants can get confusing. Right readers?

There's a lot that goes into a name when writing a book, when naming a child, when considering that perfect nickname for your co-worker. Mine is "Unterdrucker" - German, for "The Oppressor" - yes, he's our regional manager :)

My name means "I Love" - it's French -- correctly spelled it would be J'aime. We dropped the apostrophe-thingy and went for English. But my mom said I always lived up to my name. I've loved life and everything in it passionately. I must be French. Wait. I am. Go figure.

So what's in YOUR name? How do names touch your life? Best name in a book that you've read lately?

And to make things more exciting -- we want to introduce ANOTHER BOOK DRAWING to kick off our blog this week! :) YEAH! Anne and I realize you're not ALL historical lovers, so this is our Mix-It-Up Pack:
  • Diagnosis Death, by Richard Mabry
  • Inescapable, by Nancy Mehl
  • Wings of a Dream, by Anne Mateer
So I snuck in one historical (Anne Mateer's) - but you'll love it because she's THAT good! A great suspense novel by Dr Mabry and another suspense/Mennonite novel by Nancy Mehl that will keep you up at night.

And it wouldn't be complete without a pottery-style coffee mug, some coffee samples and decaf tea just in case you need some hot liquid at ni-nite time.

Enter to win by leaving a comment and the drawing will take place next Monday, October 8th! Continental US only.

31 comments:

  1. I have no idea what my name means, exactly, but I know my kids' names mean. My daughter's name means "consecrated to God." After four years of infertility, she came along as our own little Samuel, a child given back to God. Then my son, completely unexpected, came a long a few short months later. His name (first + middle) means "Remember the Lord, the Bringer of Light." That sweet, strong-willed boy has forced me to remember the Lord with every breath I take.

    I don't have a favorite character name, but the process of choosing them fascinates me. I love talking with writer friends about how they create characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful meanings for your children! And dont our kids remind us every day?

      Delete
    2. Wow, children are amazing gifts! :o)

      Delete
  2. My name is made up (by my sister when she was less than 18mos), so my husband came up with his own meaning. He decided that Ladette meant "the Beautiful One" -- gotta love that man! :)

    We did take the time to look at the meanings of our children's names, but I don't remember them all now. 4 out of the 5 are Biblical names and the other is after my Daddy.

    ladettek[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, how special. Ladette is a pretty swell name for an 18 mo old to come up with. WOW! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ladette! Great to see you made it over to our new blog! :o)

      Delete
    3. Well, her name is Ladene Annette and in a fit of sassiness, (our grandmother had gotten on to her and said, "Ladene Annette!"), my sister turned, stomped her foot and said, "Ladette!" Trying to say her own name, but instead slamming them together to make my name. :)

      Delete
  3. My name means, "from the ash tree" (even though I'm not quite sure what that means...Lol)

    As I read your blog, I began thinking about the importance of names. I have not been blessed with children of my own yet, but I know that once I do have children, my husband and I will choose strong names that are biblical in nature. I believe that names are influential, and can even determine our character. Before reading today's blog, I never gave much thought to the names of the characters in my favorite books. Now that you've pointed this out, I will definitely keep it in mind.

    Great post! I look forward to reading more! :) God bless! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to character determination. I do already see my kids living up to their meanings. Thanks for coming to the blog! :)

      Delete
  4. My name means Harvester Sheep...which doesn't really seem like a super inspiring meaning at first glance. But my parents definitely picked them for a reason.
    My Daddy was in seminary, training to be a Pastor when I was born, and so both of those names reflect a part of the role that a Pastor plays, (A worker in the "Great Harvest" and a Shepherd). They're also characteristics of Christ....
    I've told you this before Jaime, but I LOVE your kids names and their meanings!! : )

    Have a splendid day!

    -Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name means "Of Royal Blood" - Scandinavian. Now if I could only convince my family of that... :D In the Latin, my name is from the family of plants called "Heather" which is kinda cool, since we named our daughter Heather. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's cool, Erica! You ARE royal - in a Biblical sense for sure :)

      Delete
  6. My name means "Lily of the Valley"... not quite sure if I fit the meaning of it, except I like to be surrounded by other people. When we named our son, we had no idea how true his name would be. His name means "Gift from God". After him, we could never get pregnant again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Such rich meanings ... and a blessing your son is!

      Delete
    2. wow. I love Lily of the Valley, such a sweet aroma in the springtime.

      Delete
  7. Mine is Peaches.

    And this is Merriam's definition: "A round stone fruit with juicy yellow flesh and downy pinkish-yellow skin."

    My meaning is something else. It was given to me for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your name defines you as of ours do. I love it that yours is unique and special!! WAY COOL!

      Delete
  8. Nice Blog. I like the design and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peaches, and so glad you've joined us! :) :)

      Delete
    2. :o) I love peaches, your mother must have loved them too!! :o)

      Delete
  9. Oooh!! I LOVE your new blog! I'm trying to get back into blog-hopping and visiting old writing friends. My youngest son's name is a play on both mine and my husband's names. My oldest was named after a great-grandfather that was diagnosed with cancer about the time we found out I was pregnant. I don't have a clue as to what my name means. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope you have a great time here Chelle. Sounds short for Michelle, which is "who resembles God." :o)

      Delete
  10. I love your new blog. My name is Anne a shortening of Hannah or woman of prayer. My last name is Greene which always reminds everyone of Anne of Green Gables, so helps them remember my name as a writer.I'd love to win those books and give a review on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a kindred spirit for sure Anne! I was named after Anne of Green Gables. Anne with an e. To be a woman of prayer... welcome here Anne!

      Delete
  11. My name means God's promise or God is my oath and has been a family name for several generations. My middle name is my great grandmother's maiden name I believe. I LOVE names (I have an old baby book of names and I flip through it for fun a lot) and my favorite part is picking two names that go well together. I love hearing more about naming book characters!

    ecriggs1990(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz! Great to have you here!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)