Monday, October 8, 2012

Redemption or Revenge

Courtesy of Photobucket.com
* CHECK OUT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST FOR THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF LAST WEEKS' BOOK DRAWINGS! :)

I always thought King David was nuts--a bit crazy. He blamed King Saul for losing his mind, but whenever I read the story of David and his rogue son Absalom, I always thought David had lost a few marbles along the way.

For those of you who aren't familar or can't recall, here's the story in a nutshell: Drop-dead gorgeous son decides he can rule Dad's kingdom better than Dad. Son starts and uprising, gains supporters, and goes to war against Daddy. Daddy turns into a wuss and instructs his men not to take said-rebellious-son out. Dad cries. Weeps. Moans. David's main man, Joab, kills Absalom. David cries more. Wah, wah, wah, until Joab tells him to be a man and stop crying like a baby.

I agreed with Joab. All this years. Here is David--War King--man of honor, man of God, strong, just, humble ... acting like a massive cowardly baby in the shadow of his powerful son. He should be seeking revenge. Take my throne, why don't you? Not in my lifetime. Wham! Imprison your son, for goodness' sakes, kill or banish his minions, take back your kingdom -- be a man.

I always agreed with Joab -- until I had my daughter. The other night, cuddled in bed, my two year old stated baldly: "I don't love Jesus."
"You don't love Jesus?"
"No."
"Why don't you love Him?"
"Becuase I don't like Him."
"Why don't you like Him?"
"Becuase I don't want to obey Him."

I went to bed telling myself she was only two -- but what two year old can verbalize the spiritual struggle of mankind from the beginning of time? Obedience. The need for submission. The need for redemption. I prayed earnestly that night and ever since, for the redemption of my stubborn, hard headed, independent thinking, little girl. Her will to be right--to be queen of her life--might cause her to try to overthrow her King. Dear Lord ...

...and I wept. That night I wept. To see my daughter willfully desire to walk away from her Father--to see the cold logic on her face as she lifted her hands palms upward like "no duh, mommy" and states, "becuase I don't want to obey." My heart was broken. My soul in agony. My mind terrified that she would never change, never find redemption.

... and there was no revenge in my heart. I didn't want to prove to her who was King over her life. I didn't want to be right. I didn't want to see her spirit massacred. I had no desire to go to war with her. All I wanted -- still crave -- is her redemption. A change of heart. Brokenness. While she is still alive, there will always be hope that one day, she will see the King for who he is, recognize Him, break before Him, bow on bended knee, and have her relationship with Him restored -- in spite of her sin. But if she were to die ... now ... unrepentant ...

I understand David. He wasn't a king in this moment--he was a father. A parent. Grieving, aching, desperate for the redemption of his child. His baby son. The little boy that had run through the castle, probably raising havoc, stubborn and willful -- it was cute when he was two. There was no joy, no relief, no praises when he was informed of his son's death. Only his son's killer could convince him to come back to life and lead his people. I think if David could have been like any other parent, he would have retreated to his chamber for months, in the dark depths of despair. Not only was his son dead--but his son was un-redeemed. It was a loss too great for a parent.

Today I have a new respect for King David and his quest to see redemption on his son's face. He would trade his weatlh, his position, his kingdom, even his men ... if his son would only reconcile. When I look at my blue-eyed little beauty, I would do the same.

Whom do you long to find redemption? A broken relationship? An unbelieving child or sibling or parent? We can only do what David did ... show great strength in laying down our agendas and beseeching the Lord for the heart of our beloved.

David was a great man. I know that now. His son was well-loved. In life. In death.

__________________________________________________________________________


HEY! We have TWO WINNERS Of our prize packs:

Winner of our historical prize pack including Julie Lessman, Sarah Sundin, and Jody Hedlund's latest releases PLUS great Indiana tea is ... Raquel Byrnes!





Winner of our mix-it-up prize pack including Richard Mabry, Anne Mateer, and Nancy Mehl's books along with a cool Autumn coffee mug stuffed with coffee and tea is .... SHELLY!






THANKS to all for helping us launch our new blog! We'll be in contact with the winners of the prize packs and please continue to visit us. We want to get to know YOU and we have great more giveaways, interviews with amazing authors, and more in the near future!

14 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff. Great story Jaime. Who? I've someone in mind, he's been on my mind this last week more than ever. Sometimes I pray the "hounds of heaven be at his heels." C. S. Lewis refers to the hounds of heaven, this life long struggle to come to faith was one he well knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I can only smile at your two year old though...don't let it make you cry. It would be worse if she was ten and said that, but she's only two and I can PROMISE you that at two, they're just learning the meaning of words. They're experimenting with them, looking for reactions to various announcements. Your daughter will learn that obeying God brings goodness into our lives and disobeying brings pain. :-) Great story about David though! I didn't realize the scope of it and can't imagine how painful that must've been for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx Jess! That's what my DH told me too :) still freaks me out!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on this terrific launch - ladies!
    Congrats to the very blessed winners of the prizes - can only wish I was one of them. ':D

    Blessings as you continue this terrific blog, Jaime and Anne.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy! Keep visiting -- oh one of my favorite people! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! This launch wouldn't be great without everyone dropping in to join in the fun!

      Delete
  5. Very powerful. As parents, there are those things we can't control no matter how hard we try to "do our best" at Christian parenting. All we really can do is just like you said, lay down our agendas and preconceptions, and beseech the One who loves them more than we do. God bless ~ and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling that there will be more to this story. It sounds like Jesus is working in her little heart and teaching her what it means to follow Him. I can't wait to hear what happens next because God is amazing at crafting stories in our lives, and He has something brewing in that little girl of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *tears* I know what you mean...I have thought the same of David as you described at first, until I saw someone so close to me willfully turn from God. It is nothing short of devastating. Hang in there with lovely Chloe. God definitely is working in her, to give her the wisdom she has at such an early age! Wow. He is doing and will do incredible things in and through her! Same with that handsome baby boy of yours! :) Love you! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, Anne & Jaime, loving the blog!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, thanks Jill--we are having a great time with it too!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)