Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Report: With Every Letter, by Sarah Sundin

I am an AVID fan of Sarah Sundin's novels. I've always been obsessed with World War II history, collecting my Grampa's wartime articles, uniform, army trunk, etc. Her first series, Wings of Glory, was everything I wanted a good WWII novel to be about. Can she best her first three books? (Every author's worry). SHE DID SHE DID SHE DID!!

With Every Letter is a fascinating book about Mellie, a flight nurse, and her ministry letters to a soldier she's never met with a name she doesn't know. Tom is a soldier with a name he despises and a friendless life that isn't made friendlier as he is immersed in battle.

Characters;  Sarah brings out the best in the common struggles between Mellie and Tom. The need for acceptance, yet the lonely existence of being ostracized from community binds them. Mellie's cultural background during a war that surrounds the world doesn't aid her quest to remain in the background, ministering to wounded soldiers. Tom's association with a murdering father marks him as a killer he is not, and his quest to convince the world he is a pleasant, humor-filled man keeps his relationships surface and his heart empty. Sarah does a fantastic job bringing the reader deep into the minds of the characters and within the first chapter - you will be in love! Even if they haven't fallen yet ;)

Setting: It's WWII. What more of a setting do you want? Yet, Sarah takes us to Algeria. Not exactly the most popular setting for a war novel. Paris, Normandy, the South Pacific, Hawaii... all been done. Algeria. Nope. THAT'S WHY YOU'LL love it!! Sarah also richly captures the history of the era -- from the music, the slang, the planes, the battles, the wounds ... it's realistic. While it reads like a novel, it's also a rich history book of one of the most glamorous yet horrific eras in American history.

Faith: Both Mellie and Tom are characters of faith. While they have moments of crisis, their faith is strong. And, I love this. Often in novels, one character is seeking while the other has faith. I enjoy a book where the Spiritual struggles are relatable to a well-established person of faith. It's a refreshing take on Inspirational novels.

And Sarah? Gee golly whiz. If you knew her you'd LOVE her! She's a great person, a creative mind, a woman with humor... I love Sarah! She TOTALLY ROCKS! :)

You'll want to check it out - buy it - share it - and love it!
And don't forget YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN IT!! Comment to enter both of our book prize packs listed below!

Drawing winners will be announced Monday!



24 comments:

  1. Oooh!! I haven't ventured into war stories but after reading Sarah's storylines?? I think I've found a new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will LOVE Sarah's books, Chelle! :) They're so well-written!

      Delete
  2. Ohmygoodness, WANT. Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved this book - you will too, Lins!

      Delete
    2. Yes, if you've never ventured into WWII, this cover will draw you in!

      Delete
  3. I had the pleasure of meeting Sarah at a writer's conference. Such a lovely person.
    cheriegagnon [AT] bell [DOT] net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you! I'm jealous. I've met Sarah via the virtual world but not in person ... yet! :)

      Delete
    2. I can't wait for next conference to meet some wonderful people in person!

      Delete
  4. I love Sarah's books and have not been able to get my hands on the newest one yet. Great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly -- if you don't win the prize pack, you MUST order. It's TOTALLY worth it!

      Delete
  5. I love Sarah's books and would love to own this book. My email is mysterylover93[at]yahoo[dot]com.

    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle, so glad you stopped by to add to my raving about Sarah's books :)

      Delete
  6. I love Sarah Sundin's books! I was able to meet her at a book signing, and she's so sweet. She definitely has a gift for storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't she??? Sarah is AMAZING -- so is her writing :)

      Delete
  7. Jaime - that might be the sweetest review ever :) I'm thrilled that you liked Tom & Mellie's story. Yes, every author is terrified that readers won't like a new series.

    Cherie & Emmy Sue - I loved meeting both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love this book. It's so unique. The characters scream I'M UNIQUE. Love it.

      Delete
  8. I would love to get Sarah's book! The last ones I bought have been read and reread several times. And I also agree Sarah is a true peach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep -- my copies are well loved and well shared too!

      Delete
    2. That's the best review--when you want to reread it several times!

      Delete
  9. Okay - you made me want to win a copy! I love that there are more WWII stories coming out. What a special generation of Americans those were.
    twinwillowsfarm at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pegg -- you won't regret checking out Sarah's books. I wish we could supply ALL of you with a copy!

      Delete
  10. It's always fun to find new authors!

    Congrats on your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you joined us and so honored to be able to introduce you to Sarah's books!! Keep visiting! We love getting to know our readers!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jaime -

    I'm also a big fan of Sarah Sundin. I can't wait to read her latest book. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)