Wednesday, June 14, 2017

How to Have a Productive Working Vacation

Erica here:

I am on vacation visiting my folks in Florida, and I am also on deadline for a project. While I'm having a wonderful time visiting with my parents, shopping, and seeing people, I also have to work. I don't know if you've ever had a working vacation before, but they're tricky to balance!


This isn't my first working vacay, and I've come up with some things that have made things easier that I would love to share with you.

1. Communicate: tell the people you're with what you need to do. Get them on board with the project so that they can be helpful, or at the very least, not distracting.

My parents are the most adorable thing ever


2. Commit: set aside blocks of time when everyone else can be occupied. This might mean you get up early to put in some time on your project before everyone else wakes up. It might mean you're the last one to go to bed so you can have some quiet. Or, it might mean you stay behind on an activity to work when everyone else is out of the house. It might mean you need to sneak away to a coffee shop to minimize family distractions.

Sometimes you need writer-fuel.


3. Reward: when you reach a milestone or finish your project, reward yourself with an outing, shopping, time with your family. For me, today, when I finish this chapter, I get to watch a rugby match and go to a fabric store with my mom. It doesn't have to be something elaborate. In this case, it helps me have a goal, and it helps my folks know what I need to accomplish as well as allowing them to cheer me on to something tangible.

REWARD! A fabric store!


Have you ever had a working vacation? Was it a good experience for you?

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

2 comments:

  1. All my jobs were self contained. When I left for the day, I left it all behind. And vacations were just that.
    I'm glad you're getting to spend time with your folks. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the blessings! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)