Wednesday, May 10, 2017

What did you want to be?

Erica here:
.
I'm curious...what did you want to be when you grew up?

One of the warehouses at Vetsch Hardwoods

Did you know from a young age what you wanted to do? Did it take you awhile to figure it out? Is what you're doing now remotely related to your childhood ideas?

My husband and I were talking about this recently. When he was a kid, he wanted to be a paleontologist or a dentist, and when he got older, he wanted to be a teacher. Then he wanted to work in radio, which he did for awhile.

What he didn't want to do is work for/with his dad in the family business.

So guess what he does now? Yup, you guessed it. He is now an owner in the family business, and he loves what he does.

When I was a kid, I dreamed of being a veterinarian, a nurse, a medical missionary, a teacher, or a writer. (I also wanted to train horses for the circus, own my own zoo, and breed racehorses.)



I did grow up to be a teacher, and I'm now a writer...still waiting for the circus gig, though.)

Our daughter came out of the school after her first day of kindergarten and informed me that she was going to be a teacher. She never wavered from that goal, though she refined it as she got older to Early Childhood Educator. Now she's a pre-school teacher with Head Start, and that fills her teacherly happy cup up every day.

Teaching school all week isn't enough!
She teaches pre-school Sunday School, too!

Our son rarely mentioned what he wanted to be beyond perhaps a video game beta-tester. :) Now he works for a courier service based in the upper midwest, and he drives lots of miles all by himself, which he seems to like immensely, since he doesn't have to talk to anyone and can listen to his music while he drives.

My cutie-patootie son, age 1
So, how about you? What did you grow up to be? Was it what you dreamed about being as a child?

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

8 comments:

  1. I wanted to be on Broadway and a novelist. More realistically, i wanted to be a high school history teacher. In actuality, I work in educational publishing and write as a hobby. It is a surprising path to me but I am so lucky to use my degree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a high school history teacher! :) I loved it!

      I also love how God takes us on some winding journeys.

      Delete
  2. When I was little I told everyone I wanted to be a shoe salesperson so I could have all the shoes. LOL. Yes, my love of shoes is strong. Then I wanted to be a hairdresser - since I love messing with my hair. In highschool all I wanted to be is a mom- I knew back then that I had no other want than that. People would look at me funny and say "But, you have to want to BE something?!" Isn't it sad that just being a mom and wife wasn't on the "list" of what you could be? I never faltered from wanting that or telling people that. I have been so blessed to have gotten my goal and had my dream job for 15 years so far. I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The shoe salesperson! Perfect.

      Being a mom is a great job, underappreciated, especially when you consider all the things a mom does. It's more than a full time job!

      Delete
  3. In first grade I wanted to be a teacher. I guess that's a hats off to my teacher. The rest of my growing up years I wanted to be a nurse. Never made that but I worked in the medical field until I retired two years ago. Ironically my son is now a nurse and my daughter works in the schools as a speech language pathologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You passed on your loves to your children! :)

      Delete
  4. I wanted to be a journalist/writer most of my life with side goals of a missionary teacher. ;) I do most of these things as a home-educating mother, such a blessing. I do want to pursue writing more, but fitting it in the cracks is proving difficult. :) (if you get a duplicate comment from me...pardon. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a home-educating mother lets you do and be a lot of things, doesn't it? You find a lot of things have to be fit into the cracks of your life. :)

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)