Thursday, May 11, 2017

Chilled Strawberry Soup

Gabrielle Here:

As each season changes, I start to crave different foods. In the summer, I want BBQ chicken hot off the grill and cold slices of watermelon at a picnic table. In the fall, I want apple crisp and hot chocolate around a campfire. In the winter, I long for comfort foods like mashed potatoes and meatloaf, sitting around the family dining room table. In the spring, I crave chilled strawberry soup and chicken salad sandwiches on a croissant sitting on patio furniture, soaking in the warm sunshine.

Don't even get me started on holiday food!! Isn't it interesting that we crave different foods at different times of the year? Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's associated with a good memory, maybe it's what's in season. For whatever reason, it's fun to make those favorite recipes and share them with others.

Since it's spring, I thought it would be fun to share my recipe for chilled strawberry soup. Have you ever had it? The first time I tasted it was sixteen years ago when my mother-in-law made it for me at my bridal shower in May. I was a little skeptical at first, but I became an instant fan, and now I'm asked to make this all the time.


It's incredibly easy to make and it's a crowd favorite. It's really appropriate for any time of year (I also make it for our Christmas Tea Party), but spring reminds me of my bridal shower, so that's when I like it best.

Chilled Strawberry Soup
Prep: 10 minutes
Ready In: 8 hours

Ingredients
2 cups frozen strawberries
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons white sugar, or to taste

Directions
Puree strawberries, milk, cream and sour cream in a blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in sugar to taste. Chill 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator before serving.

That's it! I garnish it with a sprig of mint (yum!) and sliced strawberries. I also serve it with toasted pound cake croutons. All you do is buy a Sarah Lee pound cake (or make one yourself), cube it and toast it in the oven for a few minutes. 

(The picture above was made with frozen mixed berries, which is also very good.)

Your Turn: Have you ever had strawberry soup? What other kinds of chillded soups have you had? What foods do you crave for each season?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You'll have to come for my yearly retreat sometime! We had it last year and will probably have it again this year...or, you could make it for yourself. That might be a cheaper way to get it. :)

      Delete
  2. Soup Looks yummy! I've never tried cold soup. Cantaloupe is one of my favorites in the summer and low calorie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made something similar with honey dew melon--there's probably a version for cantaloupe out there. :)

      Delete
    2. A friend of ours won a homemade ice cream contest using cantaloupe!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)