Thursday, April 6, 2017

A Writers Conference

This past weekend, Erica and I had the privilege of speaking at the Write Escape Conference near Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was hosted by the Wisconsin chapter of ACFW. We left Erica's house Friday morning and drove the four and a half hours to Milwaukee. Along the way, we saw a lot of signs for historic sites, and if we didn't have a dinner engagement that evening, we would have veered off our route and never made it to Milwaukee. It was kind of like a driving tour. As we passed a sign, I'd Google it, and we'd learn all about something we didn't know existed.

Immediately upon arrival in Milwaukee, we toured the Pabst Mansion on what used to be Grand Avenue. At one time, there were about sixty mansions on Grand Avenue--now there are only five. The Pabst Mansion was gorgeous. 20,019 square feet of house, lovingly restored by a group of individuals who saved it from demolition in the 1970's.

The carriage entrance. People could enter at carriage height
and not have so many stairs to climb.


After our tour of the Pabst Mansion, we went to our hotel and dressed for the 1920's inspired dinner party the WI SE ACFW group hosted in our honor. It was held in the Castle, which is a 1920's mansion one of the members lives in. It was fun touring the mansion and meeting many of the group members. We enjoyed a lovely meal and spent a good part of the evening just visiting.




Saturday morning, Erica and I were up bright and early to attend the conference. We both taught two workshops and had a lot of fun getting to know the group a little better.

One of my workshops entitled: Ten Ways to Hook a Reader
Sunday, Erica and I spent six hours at the Milwaukee Public Library, had a great dinner at a Chinese Restaurant, and then spent the evening gabbing away in our hotel room.




Monday, we headed back toward Minnesota and stopped in Baraboo, Wisconsin to visit Jaime! We had lunch at a fun cafe and then spent several hours at the Circus Museum in her hometown. Baraboo, if you didn't know, was the winter headquarters of the Ringling Brothers Circus for almost thirty years. After leaving Baraboo, we stopped at a Culver's for lunch and left a couple of our books in their Little Free Library.

Jaime and Erica at the Circus Museum

Our books are on the bottom left
We made it to Erica's on Monday evening and then I had another three hour drive north to my house. It was an awesome weekend, filled with awesome people, and we made some great memories.

Your Turn: When was the last time you took a road trip? Where did you go? What was your highlight? 

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

3 comments:

  1. Last summer we made a trip in our RV from Tuscaloosa, Alabama to Key West Florida. Long drive each day. Enjoyed Brunswick, Georgia on our way back. I'd like to go there again! Key West? Not so much.
    I loved the pictures you shared and I think dressing up in 1920s style looks fun. I have a picture of my grandmother looking like a flapper with her dress and hairstyle and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the BEST time with you, and getting to see Jaime was the icing on the cake. :) When's the next road trip, Lucy? ~ Ethel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! :) Our family took a vacation to Texas in February. The highlight was staying in a cabin on the Gulf. It was just gorgeous. Our little Texan cousins and my children loved spending everyday on the beach! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)