Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Stop Badgering Me!


Erica here:

This is a post that I've been thinking about for some time.

You see, I have lots of friends on social media, and my Facebook feed and Twitter feed are in constant motion. There are a lot of things I enjoy about social media, but some things, especially lately, I don't enjoy so much.

One of the things that makes me sad, mad, discouraged, disgusted...it varies...is when someone starts promoting their cause...their passion...their mission in such a way that it calls people out and belittles them for not having the same intensity and level of passion about the same cause as the one posting does. I am seeing this tactic with more frequency than ever these days.

The issues are wide ranging...international adoption, the humane society, the sanctity of human life, Calvinism, abolishing racism, clean water, keeping cursive writing in schools, homeless veterans...the list goes on. There are so many causes out there to promote, believe in, support.

And I don't mind people talking about their passions, the issues that they care about, the causes that excite them. I enjoy hearing about the wonderful things that are being done to make this world a better place, the things that still need doing, possible ways I could help. The world is full of interesting people, things, and ideas, and I like to learn about them.

But I don't like to be made to feel guilty if I don't support a cause to the degree someone else does. The posts I am seeing frequently these days aren't trying to raise awareness, they're trying to spread guilt, shame, generalities, and name-calling. They are trying to make me feel 'less' if I don't pursue a given course of action as vigorously as the one who posts.

Less of a mom, less of a woman, less of an American, less of a human, less of a Christian.

Just plain LESS.

It's tantamount to cyber-bullying, and I for one don't respond well to it. The cause might be wonderful, but if I get badgered and called ______________ (Unfeeling, Un-American, Un-Christian) if I don't join in, I'm going to lose respect for that person and that cause.

As humans, and especially as Christians, God has created us each uniquely. We have different gifts and abilities and passions. Different causes and needs awaken sympathy in our hearts and put fire in our bellies. If we all had the same passions and abilities, we would all seek to change or better only one type of cause. Because we are all different, we can see and work and attempt to change a variety of issues.

I would love to hear about the causes, charities, missions you are passionate about. What stirs your soul? Tell me in a way that will educate me, enlighten me, encourage me!

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

13 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Erica! You articulated beautifully what many of us feel. This is why I always enjoy your posts. One thing I can get passionate about is a ministry that my older sister started called The King's Daughters. I absolutely love how she has taken the pain of a divorce and turned it into something good. She holds retreats for women who are going through tough times, similar to what she went through. She has worship time, devotional time, speakers, some pampering time and tops it off with a tea party! I put on a tea party for the first retreat she did and it was so neat to see the women's reaction. I brought my hats and it did my heart good to see these women giggle like little girls as they tried on the hats. I only wish I lived closer so that I could help with the tea parties all the time. The women who attend the retreats say that the tea parties are a big highlight. Maybe that's why I enjoy hosting tea parties so much - they are a balm to the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful ministry, and what a wonderful way for you to get to use your amazing gifts! You have the special ability to make your guests feel like the most important people in the world! <3

      Delete
  2. I don't mind if someone posts a link or an opinion. I'll either click like, or not...pure and simple (IF the FB algorithm even lets me see it, lol). What I don't like are the ones that specify, "Show you care by sharing" "We need 10,000 likes" "If you scroll past, you have a hard heart," or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voni, most of those are like-farming scams anyway, so you are doing a good thing by ignoring them!

      Delete
    2. Voni, I agree, I don't mind if someone posts a link or opinion, it's the ones that say unless you think like this or do this, you're not a good person...

      And as Carla says, we always have to be careful with 'click bait' posts that are phishing for information.

      Delete
  3. Amen, sister! It would be sad if only one cause ever got attention, considering all the people who need assistance.

    More and more, I see accusatory posts associated with "radical Christianity." I greatly admire people who will leave behind their suburban lives and move overseas or into the inner city as missionaries. But there still needs to be accountants and bus drivers and teachers...there is more than one mission field. Sometimes we're called to do small things with great faith (to paraphrase Mother Teresa) rather than the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I love that people are passionate, who take up the call God has placed on their lives. What I don't like is when they assume that in order to be a 'Good Christian' everyone should take up the same call.

      Delete
  4. This would be such a dull world if everyone thought alike, believed in the same causes, looked similar, etc. I enjoy the variety I see everyday. God must enjoy it too or He would have made us all alike!
    I like to use my simple crocheting skills to make hats for newborns or those going through cancer. After having breast cancer I like to support that cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you make hats for babies and cancer survivors! Using your own cancer journey to help those on that path makes it even more wonderful! When I walked that road with my MIL, the hats made by volunteers were a blessing to her, and thus to me!

      Delete
  5. Excellent post, Erica!

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)