Thursday, March 30, 2017

Power of Prayer

Gabrielle Here:

It's been quite a week for the Meyer family. If you're friends with me on Facebook, you saw that my family has been hit hard with illnesses. Three of my children and my husband suffered through the stomach flu and last Wednesday evening, I started running a fever, got the chills, a headache--the whole gamut of flu symptoms. Friday I was diagnosed with Influenza A. I went on Tamiflu and was hoping to feel better by Monday, but instead, I felt worse. I went into the clinic again and this time my doctor ran a strep test. When she came back in and said: "Your test came back positive. You have strep throat, too." I honestly thought she was kidding for a split-second. Needless to say, by that point, I had hit my limit.

I've had influenza before, and I was literally off my game for three weeks because of it. It's nothing to laugh at.

I've also had strep before (more times than I'd care to admit since becoming a mom), and I'm usually miserable for several days following the start of antibiotics. My body gets hit hard by these kinds of things and it takes a while to bounce back.

But I didn't have the luxury of taking too long to heal, because Erica and I are supposed to teach two workshops each this coming weekend at a writers conference, and we have a whole trip planned.

When I left the clinic on Monday, after getting the strep test, I called Erica in tears. Not only was I tired of feeling sick, I was also concerned that I wouldn't be able to go to the writing conference. After all, in the past, it's taken me longer than four days to heal.

I went on an antibiotic, and I'm telling you, by bedtime I felt so much better. The next day, I felt way better. I started to get some chores done around the house and I was able to make plans for my twins' 7th birthday the next day. I kept telling everyone that antibiotics are miraculous (which they are), but the truth is that I know a lot of people were praying for me--and I fully believe in the power of prayer. I know I am ready to travel today, just four days after getting tested positive for strep--and less than a week after being tested positive for Influenza A, because there were so many people praying for me.

Even as I type this, I'm amazed all over again. Maybe this won't sound miraculous to anyone else, but like I said earlier, I take weeks to feel better after just one of those illnesses--two seems almost insurmountable.

Yesterday was my boys' 7th birthday and one of the things they wanted to do was go to the park. It was so much fun to just feel good enough to play with them. We had a fun day.

I was challenged by my family to balance on this yesterday--
it's harder than it looks! But I'm so happy I was feeling well
enough to play with the boys.
Now, I'm off to Erica's house and we have an awesome weekend planned. I'm sure we'll share our adventures here next week, but until then, I'd love to hear about the power of prayer from you. When have you seen prayer in action? When have you had a prayer answered? Is there anything we can pray for you now?

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you're feeling better! It's going to be an epic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your balance video yesterday. I'd fall flat on my face! Looks kind of like a surf board balance thing. Glad you're feeling better! You and Erica have fun.
    I've had more prayers answered than I ever deserved.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everyone is well and this will be a wonderful weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)