Thursday, March 2, 2017

My Five Favorite Book Review Blogs

Gabrielle Here:

If you're like me, you want to read a few honest book reviews before you decide to purchase a book. Sometimes it seems that all my friends are talking about a particular book, which automatically makes me want to read it, but other times, I see a unique book on one of the book reviewer blogs I follow and it encourages me to try out something I might not have picked up before--especially if the favorable review is from a reviewer I respect and admire.

Maybe you don't even know where to look for book review blogs (I didn't before I started writing). Below is a list of five book review blogs I've come to love (in no particular order). These blogs are current, entertaining, and extremely helpful. They not only review books, but they also share lots of other fun tidbits of information about the publishing industry and they do giveaways!! What I love most is that these ladies are passionate about fiction. Their personalities shine through their blogs and they love to reach out to readers and authors alike.

This is not an exhaustive list, by any means! In the coming months, I hope to introduce you to more book reviewers and their lovely blogs.

Without further ado, here is my list of five favorite book review blogs:

Rachael Wing ~ Rachael's Reads Blog


I adore Rachael. She's a fellow Minnesotan and the sweetest young woman you'll ever meet. I've had the pleasure of attending a couple writers retreats with her and she lights up when she talks about Christian Fiction. She loves to support authors and she's well-loved by all of them. Rachael is still in college, but I have a feeling that we'll see great things from her in the future. She's hoping to have a career in the fiction industry and I know anyone who gets her on their team will be very blessed, indeed.



I originally met Annie online when she volunteered to be part of my street team (to help promote my books), then I had the pleasure of meeting Annie in person at the 2016 Christian Fiction Readers Retreat (CFRR) in Nashville last August. Annie (along with Carrie Schmidt and Bonnie Roof) were the founders of CFRR. We had a blast that day and I'm really looking forward to attending this year's event in Cincinnati, Ohio on Saturday, August 12th. There's still room available if you'd like to attend. What I love about Annie is her amazing energy and joy when she talks about Christian fiction. It was fun to see her fangirling over the authors at the retreat, when she, Carrie, and Bonnie were the real stars of the show that day. I'm amazed at all she does for Christian fiction.

Carrie Schmidt ~ Reading is My Superpower


Carrie is another reviewer I met online and then in person at the CFRR in 2016. She is a sweet, loving, and joyful woman. When she says her superpower is reading, she's not kidding. I'm shocked at how many books this lady can read in a day! It's mind-blowing. Her blog is fresh and fun. I'm always amazed at how often she posts reviews, top ten lists, and author interviews. There's always new content to find on Carrie's blog.

Rel Mollet ~ Relz Reviewz


Rel was the first reviewer I "met" online. She's a delightful woman from Australia who fills her blog with amazing books, authors, and content. When I first started writing, several author friends told me I needed to follow her blog, and they were right! I love when Rel posts all the upcoming covers from some of the top publishers in the industry (here's the latest from Bethany House). Her list of reviews is mind-boggling, and her author interviews always leave me feeling as if I've sat down and talked with the author over coffee. I've had the pleasure of meeting Rel in person at two different ACFW Conferences (including the one last year in Nashville) and she's a blast to hang out with.

Group Reviewers ~ Overcoming with God 
Carrie Pagels, Diana Flowers, Teresa Mathews, Noela Nancarrow, and Bonnie Roof


If you like reading a wide variety of reviews, from several reviewers, this is the blog for you. Two of my friends are frequent contributors to this blog (Bonnie Roof and Carrie Pagels).


Bonnie is not only my friends, she's a good friend to all the ladies at Coffee Cups & Camisoles and she is one of the founders of CFRR. Bonnie is quick to share blog posts, special offers, and fun posts by authors via Facebook. When I finally had the pleasure of meeting Bonnie in person in Nashville, I was ready to give her a great big hug! If you know Bonnie, you know that she has a heart for Christian fiction and its authors. She's a special lady to all of us here.


Carrie Pagels is a fellow author and boy is she a busy woman! She hosts Overcoming with God and Colonial Quills Blog. She has several full length novels, as well as novellas, releasing this year.

The reviews on Overcoming with God are honest, heartfelt, and fun to read. They recently shared a book club video highlighting the authors of a Barbour novella collection. It's always an honor to have one of my stories reviewed by the ladies on this blog. 

These are just five of the dozens of book reviewer blogs out there. If you know of others, I'd love for you to share them in the comments.

Your Turn: Do book reviews influence the books you buy? Do you write reviews for Amazon, Goodreads, or your own blog? If you do, please share your link below.

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

34 comments:

  1. awwwwww Gabrielle! Thank you so much for such a sweet shoutout! I'm so honored to be included with my blogging heroes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of you are heroes! I am simply amazed at everything you do to support authors and Christian fiction. I seriously don't know where we'd be without you ladies. Not only do you support us as writers, but you educate us as readers, too. So happy to honor you all today. :)

      Delete
  2. Awwwww Gabe! Ahhhhhh! Tears in my eyes! Awwww.... *sniff sniff. Don’t know what to say but THANK YOU! I am soooo honored to be among these ladies. They are so special and awesome! And you, my dear are just the sweetest! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I can see that smile of yours shining right now. :) Looking forward to seeing all of you in Cincinnati this year. Thank you for all you do for authors--and for me personally. I am blessed that you offered to be on my team and that you continue to support Christian fiction. You are the rock star here!!

      Delete
  3. You chose some great blogs! They're definitely go-to reviewers. I post reviews and blog about books I read but not as much as I used to. I occasionally read a review before I buy or request a book. I was going to buy Accidentally Yours: (Forever Yours Book 1) until I read a review. One reviewer totally ruined it for me by revealing pretty much the entire story. No need to buy that one now. Grrrr... :-)

    I'm excited to be going to CFRR this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! We look forward to meeting you!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's frustrating, Anne!! I try not to read spoilers, but sometimes they pop up when you least expect it. So excited to see you at CFRR in August!

      Delete
  4. Love this!! I follow most of these blogs and ladies - and agree with you regarding them. :) I do use these blogs and others as a basis for books. I find the best, if I am uncertain, is to read the sneak peak on Amazon and see if the writer's "voice" is appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too, Susan. It's so helpful when I find a new-to-me author. Thanks for stopping in today.

      Delete
  5. Love this post! I have been introduced to so many more Christian fiction books and authors by following these wonderful blogs.
    I am so excited to be going to CFRR this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea!! I'm looking forward to meeting you in person!

      Delete
    2. I love hearing that, Andrea (and I'm sure our reviewer friends like knowing they've introduced readers to new authors). Looking forward to seeing you at CFRR!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the shout out, Gabe! I started this blog as a solo effort and was later blessed to have Diana Flowers join me and later Marian Baay, of the Netherlands, and Noela Nancarrow of Australia. Teresa Mathews came on right after Diana and has stayed with me and Bonnie Roof is our latest contributor. It is just me, Teresa and Bonnie right now (both of whom are battling cancer.) Diana and Noela are no longer blogger with us and we miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, no longer blogging with us not blogger with us! Diana and Noela are being obedient to God's direction and we're praying their health improves, too!
      CARRIE and ANNIE's blogs are wonderful! REL is amazing! ANNE Payne has been joined by reviewer, too, and has a lovely blog. CHAPPY DEBBIE Mitchell has a neat blog as does SYDNEY ANDERSON, BREE HERRON, KATHLEEN BELONGIA, and so many more!

      Delete
    2. Awww. Thank you Carrie! As you know, I'm a fan of OWG too!

      Delete
    3. You've listed so great reviewers, Carrie!

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the shout out, Carrie!

      Delete
    5. Thank you for your generous words, Carrie xo

      Delete
  7. Gabe, thank you so much for your sweet comments!! God gave me a heart for Christian Fiction and it's authors about 7 years ago - that was when I read my first Christian Fiction book. Until then, little did I know what I'd been missing - having read mostly non-fiction Christian, bios and auto-bios previously.

    I realized that in addition to the enjoyment and education - Christian Fiction could greatly impact the reader's life in numerous other ways, the greatest of which is drawing he/she closer to God. It's a field He led me into, one that deserves much more credit and acknowledgements than it receives, and one that has become very near and dear to my heart. I regret that health issues, at times, prevent my devoting even more time to it than I do.

    So looking forward to seeing you at CFRR in Aug., Gabe-God willing!! You are one of the most gracious people I've had the pleasure to meet, thank you for your beautiful writing contributions to Christian Fiction - we readers so appreciate, enjoy, and love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thank you for sharing more about the journey God has brought you on. I'm so thankful He called you to this field. The joy of any journey is the people who travel with you, and I'm so thankful we're on this journey together. :)

      Delete
  8. I just read and review. No blog, except on bookfun but I do post my reviews on at least seven sites each time.
    Hoping to get to Nashville the next time a conference is held there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to meet you next time too Gail! Soon...soon...

      Delete
    2. Wow! Any and all reviews help, so thank you for doing that on behalf of Christian Fiction, Gail. We appreciate your friendship here at CC & C blog.

      Delete
  9. Gabe, this is an exceptional list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Caryl! Thanks for joining the conversation today. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm not familiar with Rachael but I read the other blogs you mentioned. Another reviewer I really like is Kav at Best Reads. I don't have a blog, but as I've been reading book blogs for awhile, I've learned of the importance of supporting by authors by writing reviews. I write them on Goodreads, then copy and post on Amazon and CBD. It's a fairly easy way to help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gabrielle,
    I've just recently discovered this blog. I love to read book reviews before committing my money and time too, and I'm pleased to say I have heard of (and visited) three of those blogs, and I'll keep the others on my radar too.
    Since you asked, I keep a book blog too, focusing on Christian fiction and classics as well as general new releases. I'm an Australian Christian author who loves all things bookish, and enjoy keeping up my lists and discussions too. I'd love it if you, or anybody looking for more book blogs, would care to visit :)
    My blog is www.vincereview.blogspot.com.au
    The link is here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this list! I"d heard of some of these blogs, but others are new to me. I love it when a blogger takes the time to tell me what they loved about the story. It really helps me decide whether I want to read it.

    I've even bought books based on their one-star reviews, so long as that reviewer said why they gave it that rating. Some of the things that bother a reviewer are my personal catnip. We're all different and I love it that we are :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Gabrielle - apologies for the delaying in commenting. Thank you so much for including my blog amongst such fabulous book bloggers. It's a been a privilege to be a part of this community, and even after 10 years, I still love it and am passionate about authors and their stories. Hugs to you xo

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)