Wednesday, March 22, 2017

10 Reading Quirks

Erica here:

I don't remember learning how to read, but I do know it was an epoch in my life. From the time I was little, I was never without a book.

I do remember being put in the remedial reading group in third grade, and my mother being stunned, since I read all the time.

That hasn't changed. I am all about books, reading, fiction, learning, research...books, books, books!!!

I am NEVER without at least one book going. Sometimes two or three. And I have a handful of other reading quirks, too:

Currently reading this one

1. I never peek at the end of the book.
2. I never write in a book.
3. I read fiction on my kindle, non-fiction in print.
4. I love mysteries, but I never try to figure out whodunnit. I just let the story unfold.
5. If there is a choice between a book or the movie made based on the book, I will always say the book is better.
6. I am not a bandwagon reader. If a book is super popular, I put off reading it. (I am just now reading the first Harry Potter book.)
7. If I find an author I like, I want to read everything they ever wrote.
8. I have some 'auto buys.' Lee Child, Craig Johnson, Michael Connelly, and for years, Dick Francis. I have pre-ordered more than six months in advance when my favorite authors have books coming out.
9. I tend to read more male authors than female authors. No clue why.
10. I have more than 1000 books in my house right now, and that's after culling through a TON of them.

Currently reading this one, too

Bonus quirk...I am a re-reader. I have many books that I have read more than a dozen times.

Just finished this one for about the twentieth time...not my signed
British first edition, but the one on my kindle. 
How about you? Do you have reading quirks? Do we share any reading quirks?

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

13 comments:

  1. You never write in your books?! :D LOL! I would drive you NUTS. I practically underline whole books, which defeats the purpose of underlining. LOL. ;) I don't usually peek at end of books, either and I have WAY TOO MANY going at a time. I tend to read lots of older books also, so yep, same with you on bandwagons. I mean occasionally, I will read what everyone is buzzing about but I'm usually decades ;) behind the current trends. I also have at least a 1,000 books maybe more...I love going to them and pulling off the things I need for my home educating. :) I also reread favorites.

    This was fun to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEK! Nope, I never write in books. If I need to remember something, I use a post-it note! :)

      As a former homeschool mom (Kids have graduated) I loved using my personal library to supplement their education!

      Delete
  2. I love your quirks and share a few of them. I NEVER, ever write in a book, even the Bible study books you are supposed to write in, I tried but just couldn't, I use a note pad instead. Yes, I have been made fun of for this quirk. Post-its are my friend, I keep some in an envelope in my purse, just in case. I reread favorites. Sadly, I no longer have over 1000 books in my house. I lost many boxes and 3 over packed bookcases to a broken water pipe years ago. I still miss those books. Books vs Movies was something I used when I was a homeschool mom. The only movie my daughter ever liked better than the book was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write in a workbook like a Bible study book, but not if I expect to use it again (Like a writing how-to workbook.)

      :( I mourn the loss of your books to water damage. It's like losing friends!

      Delete
  3. I don't write in books either. Even with study books, I will get a notebook to write in. We also have a few other quirks in common! haha However, on occasion, I will look at the end of the book and read the last page. I don't do that often though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeking? LOL! Do you do it with mysteries and thrillers, or romances? Or does it depend upon the book?

      Delete
  4. It totally depends on the book. Sometimes, if it is taking me a while to really get into the book, I will just take a little peek at the end. It will help me decide if I will continue on with the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to plow through every book I started, no matter what, but after I started writing, I realized that my reading time was more precious, and if I wasn't into a book, I needed to put it aside and move on. It was hard at first!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I will do that too. Sometimes you just don't click with a book at that particular time. I know I have picked up books later on and have been able to read through them, when I hadn't been able to previously.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting to learn these quirks about you. :-) I know I have some quirks, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we share any reading quirks? I'd love to know I'm not alone! :D

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post Erica and sharing your book quirks. Some of mine are: trying not to put too deep of crease in the spine ,not "dog ear" it, and if it's a book I love and will reread I get it in both print and kindle if I can. Hope that's not too quirky. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is NOT too quirky! No dog-ears, and No spine creases!

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)