Thursday, February 23, 2017

My Ten Favorite Movie Musicals

Gabrielle Here:

A couple months ago, I shared some of my all-time favorite movies. I thought I'd be a bit more specific and just focus on my favorite movie musicals this time around. Some of these are a repeat from my list of all-time favorites, but they are worth repeating. :)

My criteria for this list is two-fold: it's a movie I could watch over and over again, without getting bored, and it's full of songs I have memorized (and periodically find myself singing to my bewildered children...).

I'd love to hear if any of these are your favorites, and I'd love for you to share with me some I didn't mention.


1. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954), starring Jane Powell and Howard Keel. One of my all-time favorite movie musicals. This story is about a man who marries a wife the day he meets her, and then later helps his six brothers kidnap the women they're in love with, so they can get married, too. Sounds more like a suspense thriller than a romantic comedy, but I assure you, the women don't mind being kidnapped--at least in the long run. :) Such a fun movie with lots of great singing and dancing.


2. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), starring Judy Garland and Tom Drake. This story follows the Smith family in the year leading up to the World's Fair held in St. Louis. I love this one because it has some fun songs, lots of Americana, and highlights several holidays.


3. Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960), starring Doris Day and David Niven. A story about a family with four boys who leave New York City and buy an old mansion in need of repair. The boys in this movie are hilarious and remind me of raising my own set of twin boys! Doris Day is also one of the most talented movie actresses of her day and has an amazing voice.


4. Tammy and the Bachelor (1957), starring Debbie Reynolds and Leslie Nielsen. This story is about a young lady named Tammy who was raised in solitude on the river with her grandfather. One day, he grandfather is taken away to jail for selling moonshine, and Tammy finds herself at a plantation where she doesn't know how to act "proper," but ends up teaching all the proper people a thing or two about life. I love Debbie Reynolds, and man did she have some pipes!


5. Singing in the Rain (1952), starring Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly. About a silent movie star who is thrust into talking films and the young lady he falls in love with who is secretly hired to do voice-overs for an actress with a horrible voice. I seriously don't think there is a more dynamic duo than Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly. I could watch them sing and dance all day. :)


6. My Fair Lady (1964), starring Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. A young woman, Eliza Doolittle, is taken off of the streets by an educated professors and taught how to speak and act like a lady to fool the elite society of London. Such a fun, fun movie! I love all the songs and have them memorized by heart. One of my very favorites is On the Street Where You Live. Seriously, I could break into song right now...


7. Mary Poppins (1964), starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. A magical nanny arrives to help Jane and Michael Banks reconnect with their rigid father. Lots of whimsical singing and dancing. Disney at its best. Julie Andrews has an amazing voice and she is such a classy lady. Dick Van Dyke is hilarious and fun to watch.


8. The Harvey Girls (1946), starring Judy Garland and Ray Bolger. A young lady travels west to answer a mail-order bride ad, but finds her groom-to-be is not what she expected. Instead of marry, she starts to work at the Harvey House and goes head to head with the owner of the local brothel. A wonderful Judy Garland film, full of lots of great songs and a colorful cast of actors and actresses.


9. Sound of Music (1965), starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. Maria longs to be a nun, but Mother Superior believes she has a lot to learn about life before taking her vows. She sends Maria to the von Trapp family to be the nanny. Maria ends up getting into a lot of innocent trouble and falls in love with Captain von Trapp and his children. The quintessential movie musical with one of the most beloved singer/actresses of the ages.


10. The King & I (1956), starring Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner. The King of Siam hires a British lady to teach his many children how to speak English and conduct themselves respectably. A Rogers and Hammerstein musical with beautiful sets, gorgeous costumes, and a feisty hero and heroine.

These are just some of my favorite movie musicals. I know I could add dozens more, but I'd rather hear from you!

What are some of your favorite movie musicals?

*I have a winner from last week's giveaway of The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill, by Julie Klassen. The winner is Amyc. Amy, you've been contacted. :)

Gabrielle Meyer
Find me on Facebook
Find me on Pinterest
Find me on Twitter
Find me on Amazon
Find me on Goodreads
Find me on My Website
Sign up for My Newsletter

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post,Gabrielle! It's always fun to talk about classic musicals.Two of my favorites that were on your list are King and I and Sound of Music. (Love R and H musicals) Other musicals that among my favorites are: Good News,State Fair(1945),Showboat(1951), Flower Drum Song and The Music Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. I also love State Fair, West Side Story, and Funny Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually watched Tammy and the Bachelor last night, for about the umteenth time. Love it! The Sound of Music is my all time favorite, it came out when I was in the sixth grade, our whole class went to see it. Boy am I old!!
    Camelot with Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave, I could watch all day! In the movie the king was certainly better looking than Lancelot, in my opinion.
    And although they are a little risqué I enjoy watching Dirty Dancing and Saturday Night Fever. Funny story; my two grandmothers were as different as night and day. My "cool" grandmother was my mothers mother. I took her to the theater when Saturday Night Fever first came out. She fell asleep half way through!
    Grease is also a favorite of mine. I enjoy movies with lots of dancing in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of those, especially Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)