Monday, January 30, 2017

Monday's Devo: Occupy Me Lord...

Do you ever have days that have themes? Yesterday's theme was occupation.
I had some errands in the morning and a wedding to attend in the afternoon. I wouldn't have guessed the Lord's discussion with me would be about occupation. Yet as I attempted to empty my mind of the clutter of the week, to lift off my shoulders the things that weigh me down...I thought of my Jesus-yoga class from the week. It's about filling your mind, soul, and body with worship and scripture as you exercise. And as I meditated to relax my sore tight muscles, I felt the Spirit nudge me--don't just empty yourself, let Me fill you...occupy you.

Oh yes, Lord. Occupy me.  Hmmm.....

{oc·cu·py}
ˈäkyəˌpī/
verb
1.
reside or have one's place of business in (a building).
synonyms: inhabited, lived-in, tenanted, settled
"only two of the apartments are occupied"
live in, inhabit, be the tenant of, lodge in;
move into, take up residence in, make one's home in;
people, populate, settle; reside in, dwell in
antonyms:vacant, empty
2.
fill or preoccupy (the mind or thoughts).
"her mind was occupied with alarming questions"
synonyms: engage, busy, employ, distract, absorb, engross, preoccupy, hold, interest, involve, entertain, amuse, divert

Lord, yes. You don't ask us to be empty. You ask to fill us. Infuse me like a steeping cup of tea.


Lord, pour over me like a rich cup of coffee.


So I tried practicing the new occupation plan through the day:
Anxiety out. Peace in.
Lies out. Truth in.
Frivolous out. Noble thoughts in.
Selfishness out. Righteousness in.
Nasty, ugly out. Lovely, admirable in.

Then I headed to the afternoon wedding. Not exactly an event I thought I'd hear more about occupation. But the groom's father spoke about the journey of marriage often being like the journey of the Israelites as they came out of Egypt to occupy the promise land, characterized by unexpected battles, barrenness, wandering, trusting God's presence, crossing over into new lands--but also of the importance of God's instructions to drive out those who occupied the land. There was that theme, popping up again--when you sense a repetition--do you stop and ask the Lord to explain?

Perhaps this age old Bible lesson is more about our minds and hearts than physical nations and lands. Emptying so that God can occupy.

Phillipians 4: 8Finally, brothers {and sisters}, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthythink on these things. 9Whatever you have learned and received and heard from me, and seen in me, put these things into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.…

This is what it looks like to let God define His occupation?  He will "live in, inhabit, be the tenant of, lodge in; move into, take up residence in, make His home in; populate, settle; reside in, dwell" in me.

He will: "engage, busy, employ, distract, absorb, engross, preoccupy, hold, interest, involve, entertain, amuse, divert" me into His thoughts.

Readers:
What's on your mind this week?
What do you want to be occupied by?
BTW--don't forget my last week post still has a give-away through Feb 14th in case you missed it!
-------------
Blog post by Anne Love-
Writer of Historical Romance inspired by her family roots. 
Nurse Practitioner by day. 
Wife, mother, writer by night. 
Coffee drinker--any time.
Find me at: www.anneloveauthor.com
Find me on:Facebook
Find me on: Pinterest
Find me on: Goodreads
Find me on: Twitter
Find me on: Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)