Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Heroes and Heroines - a little differently

Erica here:

Recently I tackled a new project, one that is going to take me years to complete.

Those of you who know me, know that I like to write fiction, to sew, to crochet, and to quilt. But did you also know that I like to cross-stitch?

So, awhile back, while looking online at cross-stitch patterns (You mostly have to find them online because cross-stitch has fallen out of fashion in recent years and stores just don't carry the supplies and patterns like they used to.) I came across a site called Heaven and Earth Designs.

It was as if I had fallen down a rabbit hole! I might've been gone for days!

While there, I found the work of Aimee Stewart, and I loved her patterns! I picked one out, and this last week, I started it.


This one is called Heroes and Heroines, and I think it is stunning! But it is HUGE. And the stitches are tiny. (This photo doesn't even show the entire thing. The part I am working on right now is the stitched frame of the piece and doesn't appear in the picture.)


This is the first page of the pattern...and there are 185 pages! The pattern calls for 240 different colors of floss! I'm working it on 25 count cross-stitch fabric...that's 25 stitches per inch, and when it's done, it will be 40x29 inches.


This is how far I've gotten. :) And you can bet I work using a magnifying glass and strong light! You might also notice that I am using a fabric that has grids. This is the first time I've used something like this, and it is WONDERFUL! There are 100 stitches in each of those little squares, 10x10, and it is extremely helpful and makes counting and stitching in the right spot so much easier! I found the fabric on Etsy from a place called Tinge of Color Fabrics. I would not want to tackle this project without the gridded fabric, and the gray lines will rinse out with cold water and not show later

I have years of stitching ahead of me. I worked it out that if I put 1000 stitches a day on the project every day for two years I would still not be finished.

But you know what? I don't mind. I enjoy the stitching, and I love the subject matter, and I always know what I'll be working on.

I've had fun figuring out who the heroes and heroines are in the pattern. There are twelve couples. Can you name them? (Click on the picture above to make it larger.)

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

23 comments:

  1. Holy smokes!!! That is beautiful!! I LOVE cross stitch tho I don't personally do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I saw it online and then found myself going back to it again and again...so I finally caved and got it. :) It's going to take me forever!

      Delete
  2. I used to stitch my own grid on my fabric. Took forever. I have ever so many projects to finish...two years you say, that would be incredible. Can't wait to see the finished project.
    BTW, Karen Witemeyer is also a cross-stitcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the 'gridding' of fabric using basting stitches, but I had never tried it. When I found this fabric pre-gridded, I knew that was what I needed to get.

      And I didn't know Karen was also a cross-stitcher! Thanks for that info! I'll ask her about it next time I see her!

      Delete
  3. Wow Erica, you've embarked on a project that is both fascinating and lengthy. Yes, the results will be beautiful and so worth it. I enjoy cross stitching, but I like to do ones that are quick. Please keep us updated on your progress. I think you are inspiring me to look into something a little more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Heaven and Earth Designs, you will get LOST in all the lovely patterns and options! Let me know what you start!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow!! I like detailed projects, but that would do me in! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is the uber of detailed projects! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is an amazing project! I'll have to enlarge the picture to see if I can guess who the couples are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile on a couple of them. :)

      Delete
  6. Don't send me to that website!!! I LOVE cross stitching (I tell my husband it keeps me sane after talking to my characters all day), but I have years worth of projects ahead of me.

    I'm working on a Christmas stocking for my son-in-law right now, and my soon-to-be daughter-in-law's stocking will be next. My daughter has already put in a request for a stocking for my not-yet-a-reality first grandchild...

    ...and then there's an afghan I started a few years ago when I thought none of my children would be getting married any time soon...

    So DON'T show me any more wonderful projects!

    But this one is so-o-o beautiful. Sigh.

    Heading to Heaven and Earth designs... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Good luck. I'll send provisions! Perhaps we will cross paths wandering the lovely land of Heaven and Earth designs...

      Delete
  7. Hello Erica, I want to thank you for the mention of my site at etsy- A Tinge of Color Fabrics. As a thank you to you and your readers, I would like to offer a 10 percent discount please use discount code CCC2017.
    Again thank you,
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shawna! That's so generous! And folks, Shawna is lighting fast getting orders out!

      Delete
  8. WOW!! I used to cross-stitch a lot when I had my first child. Sadly, I got rid of all of my cross stitch supplies. That pattern looks amazing though! I just might have to pick it back up and start again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Joy! It's never too late to start again! Heaven and Earth Designs will have you eager to thread a needle!

      Delete
  9. What an ambitious project! I used to cross stitch and really enjoyed it but my hands get too stiff now from arthritis to do it. When I do stitch, I limit it to smaller projects and don't do it very long at a time. This is certainly an impressive piece, one you'll be proud of when you finish. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I'm realizing that I have to work in stages too, or I pay for it later. No arthritis, just getting older. My eyes and hands can't do as much as they used to. I'm glad you do some stitching still. It's so satisfying, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Wow!! What a beautiful project, I hope you enjoy doing it! I didn't realize we had the love of cross stitch in common,it's one of the crafts I enjoy most. Thanks for sharing this and inspiring me to start it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you visit Heaven and Earth Designs, you might not come out again! It's a treasure trove of lovely projects!

      Delete
  11. Jumpin’ Jehosaphat! I'm impressed. I love cross-stitch, though I haven't done it since having children. I used to make bibs for baby shower gifts. I started a large afghan for my oldest nephew when I found out my sister-in-law was pregnant...seventeen years ago. I finished one of twelve squares. Maybe someday I'll finish it...for his grandchild. :) This one is beautiful. It'll be fun to watch your progress and I know right where I'll put it on my wall when you're finished... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! If I ever finish this it's going on a wall in my writing room...which doesn't exist yet, but I'm working on it! LOL

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)