Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Favorite Meet-Cutes: Guest Post with Laurie Tomlinson

Thanks for hosting me, lovely ladies of Coffee Cups & Camisoles! It's always a pleasure to spend time with these fun readers! 

I'm going to go out on a limb today and guess that many of you have seen the 2006 rom-com The Holiday. And if you have, you remember the cutest old man in the world explaining meet-cutes. 

Source: theholiday.tumblr.com

But if you have no idea what I'm talking about, a meet-cute is the moment our hero and leading lady first meet in the story. Whether they have history or are total strangers, it's the instant their "together" begins. 

Let me tell you about one of my favorite meet-cutes. In the TV series Rookie Blue, the heroine Andy McNally meets her love interest on her first day as a police officer -- when she arrests him and ruins his longtime undercover operation under the assumption he's a plain-clothes drug dealer. Her huge first-day victory instantly turns to humiliation after her enthusiasm causes her to miss his thinly veiled hints that he's actually an undercover officer and she's making a huge mistake. 

This creates a dazzling chemistry when Sam Swarek becomes her training officer. It sets Andy apart from the other rookies, showing her heart and gumption, and gives Andy something to prove to Sam. Though they may not have instantly swept each other off their feet with stars in their eyes, their initial reaction evolves into unwavering trust from which the best romances bloom. 

To me, there are a few elements that go into a good meet-cute: 
  • Their pre-conceived notions about each other and the information they gather from the first meeting. 
  • The chemistry, or the reaction they incite from each other -- even if it's not a positive reaction at first.
  • The circumstances that cause the hero and heroine to cross paths in the story. 
In my upcoming novella, That's When I Knew, my hero Nick and heroine Chelsea's meet-cute occurs at a charity softball game when she slides into second and sprays baseball field all over him. Because they grew up playing neighborhood baseball together in the summers, Nick instantly knows it's Chelsea. And her familiar cloud of baseball-dirt-hustle begins their new chapter with the nostalgic reminder of the respite they've been for each other in the past, even though their adult lives are much more complicated than the sweet summers of their childhood.

So, what about you? Do you have a favorite meet-cute? Certain elements you like to see in a first meeting? Tell us in the comments for the chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card!



About Laurie: Laurie Tomlinson is an award-winning contemporary romance author, freelance editor and PR consultant, and cheerleader for creatives. She believes that God’s love is unfailing, anything can be accomplished with a good to-do list, and that life should be celebrated with cupcakes and extra sprinkles. 

To connect with Laurie and find out news about her upcoming books releasing this spring, visit her websiteFacebook page, and Twitter.  She is also a regular contributor to The Writer’s Alley blog.

17 comments:

  1. The first time I met our former pastor's wife I was in shock. I knew him way before he was ever a pastor and he was a ladies man for sure. His wife was not the best looking physically but the longer I got to,truly know her the more beautiful she was, both inside and out. First impressions are not always correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful story line! :) <3

      Delete
    2. Yes it does sound like a great story line. I love books where the hero and heroine are not good looking, but fall in love anyway. Look at the success of Jane Eyre for an example. Neither of them were anything to look at, but they became beautiful/handsome through the eyes of mutual love and respect. That makes me think of the 1945 classic film, The Enchanted Cottage starring Robert Young, Dorothy McGuire, and Herbert Marshall. Such a beautiful film. Sniff. It's not a suspense/mystery film, but shows a different angle to a love story between two plain, unbeautiful people.

      Delete
    3. Love that, Gail! It's so true. Some of the best stories (and friendships) develop that way!

      Sylvia, I love fiction that's closer to real life, too. The best romances can be unconventional.

      Delete
  2. I adore those first meetings! My favorites are when they hero and heroine butt heads or have a mistaken assumption in their first meeting. It seems all the more sweeter when they realize they like each other and want to fight it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! They don't even know what's good for them or what's right in front of their own eyes!!

      Delete
  3. I love the meet-cute in Melissa Tagg's novel From the Start. That's one of those where the guest gets put in the old bedroom of the heroine. The heroine doesn't know it and comes to spend the night in the family home. She gets the shock of her life to find this tall, handsome man in the bed! It was really funny. I heard another author say online that she wished that she would have thought of that meet-cute for her own books. :)

    nina4sm/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that story <3 Colton and Kate's meet-cute was pretty hilarious!

      Delete
  4. I love The Holiday! And I loved his definition of a "meet cute". It made me think of my own books and the way I put my heroes and heroines together. I think my favorite meet cute is from The Princess Bride, when Westley meets Buttercup, or from Gone With the Wind, when Rhett meets Scarlett. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your meet cute, Laurie! It sounds like a great read. I also loved the meet cute in Rookie Blue although it's been a while since I've watched. Not sure if I have a favorite meet cute, but I look forward to that instance each time in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question! I think I like it to be unusual. Not love at first sight but definitely a spark or reaction.. I like cute, flirty dialogue too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to leave a comment last night, but phones. *shakes head* Laurie, I love that you love Rookie Blue! However, as much as I love Sam and Andy, I prefer the meet-cute in Full House when Uncle Jesse first meets Becky. Have mercy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been too long and I don't remember! *Heads to YouTube*

      Delete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)