Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Comfort Food!

The view out my back door.

Winter arrived in SE Minnesota this last weekend. Later than usual, for sure, but way too soon for me. It's past time to put the snow tires on the SUV. I've made sure the scraper and brush are in the car, and I've gotten the extra blankets and my fleece jammies out of storage.

And I made soup.

Soup to me is a winter food. Especially creamy, thick, hearty soups. When it gets cold outside, I want to have a hot bowl of soup, some Earl Grey Tea, and a good book.

This week, in honor of the snow, I made Cheesy Wild Rice Soup, and I thought I would share the recipe with you here:

Cheesy Wild Rice Soup

1 lb. Bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
1 med. Onion
3 cups Cooked Wild Rice
2 pts. Half and Half
2 cans Cream of Potato Soup
2 cups Shredded or Cubed Velveeta Cheese

Saute bacon and diced onion in a skillet until bacon is crisp and onions are translucent. Drain. Combine with all ingredients in a crock pot. Low for 3 hrs, high for 2. (NOTE: 1 c Raw wild rice = 3 c Cooked.)

For a speedier recipe: I use pre-cooked bacon, cut small, and I buy pre-cooked cans of wild rice...Canoe brand is my favorite. I substitute a pt. of cream and a pint of milk instead of half and half, and this last time I made it, I added some chicken stock, which got a big two thumbs up from the family.

Also this week, someone on FB asked what your favorite thing to bake for the holidays is. My answer was Candy Cane Cookies.

You can find a recipe for these cookies HERE. 

What's your comfort food? What's your favorite holiday food?

Bonus Material: 

Gabrielle and I are part of some pretty awesome giveaways right now, and we want you to get to enter! You can enter to win a prize package from the Twelve Days of Christmas Giveaway by clicking HERE and entering the rafflecopter giveaway. New prizes added every day through 12/12/16


And at the 7 Brides for 7 Texans blog, we're giving away a Kindle Fire LOADED with 15 books! Click HERE and check out all the doings on the blog. 



SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

4 comments:

  1. I'm not ready for the cold either. We got 7 inches of snow Sunday. It was supposed to be 1-2 inches. This week it's in the 20's. I've already been bundled in blankets, I think I'm going to add a new hoodie to the mix. My head seems more cold this year.
    The soup sounds good, I'd have to leave out the onion as I cannot eat them. I made a cheesy potato soup with bacon once, hubby declared it "a waste of bacon" he doesn't really like soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...a waste of bacon? I love potato soup with bacon!

      I am ready for spring. My husband comforted me with the fact that in two weeks, the sunshine will start lasting longer.

      Delete
    2. Tell that man thanks -- that is a good way to look at it!

      Delete
  2. I love my wild rice soup recipe from Sandy. My only issue is an intolerance to cream and this half and half. I need to try making it without and see if it's still good :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)