Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Calming Coloring

I'll let you in on a secret ... I don't always write. Sometimes, after an especially harried day, I like to pull out a coloring book and revert back to my 8 year old self. In fact, my daughter knows one thing I'll rarely say "no" to is coloring. So if she wants some undivided "mommy-time", she'll pull out the markers and books.

Some of my favorite pens are:



They have super fine points that work wonderfully for getting into the little detailed areas of my coloring pages. I'm no artiste, but I'm especially pleased with how my Aslan turned out in my Narnia coloring book.

Part 1:


Part 2:


Recently, I received two new coloring books in the mail and I was really excited to get them. I had no idea the treasure that was inside!



I knew these would have devotionals to go with coloring pages and I was excited to be able to do something calming while also meditative. But I had no idea there were also TUTORIALS inside! As in, how to create those beautiful scripted letters, ideas for creating designs, step by step lessons that went along with Scripture and also gave you some pre-crafted imagery to color as well.

The Bible devotionals are simplistic and encouraging. They're not deeply intellectual, but sometimes at 9:30 pm at night, I need the soft spoken Word and thought rather than an argument for or against predestination.

I would definitely recommend these if you're at all interesting in even STARTING to color or craft letters. https://www.amazon.com/ScriptureDoodle-Devotional-Experience-April-Knight/dp/0781414695/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481642659&sr=8-1&keywords=scripture+doodle

What do you do to maintain your sanity and grab a moment of calm in the rush of the day? Color? Knit? (if you're a knitter I have a whole bunch of things I'd love for you to make me ;) lol!) Puzzles?

I'd love to hear what you do in your spare time. Leave a comment below and I'll send a lucky someone some tea to brew when you need that warm calm in the middle of a cold winter chaos.

_______________________________________


Jaime Jo Wright
Professional coffee drinker & ECPA/Publisher's Weekly best-selling author, Jaime Jo Wright resides in the hills of Wisconsin writing spirited turn-of-the-century romance stained with suspense. Coffee fuels her snarky personality. She lives in Neverland with her Cap’n Hook who stole her heart and will not give it back, their little fairy TinkerBell, and a very mischievous Peter Pan. The foursome embark on scores of adventure that only make her fall more wildly in love with romance and intrigue.

Jaime lives in dreamland, exists in reality, and invites you to join her adventures atjaimejowright.com.

Web site: www.jaimejowright.com 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaimejowright
Twitter: www.twitter.com/jaimejowright 
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/jaimejowright 
Instagram: www.Instagram.com/jaimejowright 
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/author/show/13916081.Jaime_Jo_Wright
Periscope: @jaimejowright


15 comments:

  1. Lately my down time has been mindless computer games, reading and cooking. My daughter just came home from college and the Christmas parties have started, so eating and movies are added in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delightful! Especially daughter-time and movies! :)

      Delete
  2. I usually read in my spare time. There are so many good books to be read out there. :)I drink hot tea every afternoon in every season, so this sounds wonderful. Coffee is my morning drink of choice. It's all so good.

    nina4sm/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOOO! I'm a coffee drinker myself but it seems I'm always leaving out tea drinkers so figured I'd expand :) Reading is soooooo relaxing

      Delete
  3. I work as a special ed para, with second graders in the morning and first graders in the afternoon. I always read during lunch, in a quiet room by myself. After a busy morning, this renews me enough so that I can be nice all afternoon. Reading has always been my favorite thing to do during spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so nice and YAY! I love special ed teachers! You are true unsung heroes and lovers of these amazing kids!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing those books! They're already going on my list :)
    When I have spare time I like to unwind with a book or catch up on some of the television shows I keep seeing my friends rave about. I just finished The Crown and WOW!! So glad I made time for that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you watch so many shows so fast??? :) I can't keep up! (Almost done with season 3 of HOD) - Try Murder Maps next.

      Delete
  5. I either read or sing! Both calm and rejuvenate me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful. I used to sing in the shower until everyone started howling outside the bathroom door.

      Delete
  6. I love to read!! It's the best "downtime" for me. Downtime also includes innocuous Hallmark movies, crocheting, mindless game apps on my Ipad...and naps...yep, naps are always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever need crochet beta testers ;) I'm all yours.

      Delete
  7. My downtime usually involves reading, watching a favorite old tv show or movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jaime! I am impressed with your coloring skills! I enjoy reading, counted cross-stitch and watching classic movies on TCM.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)